Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Think you don't like Brussels Sprouts? Think again! These Caramelized Brussels Sprouts will become a favorite vegetable side dish!
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and quartered
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter or additional oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
In a small bowl combine lemon juice, maple syrup, tamari and thyme.
Heat oil to medium high in a large skillet. Add Brussels sprouts and onion to the pan and cook until they begin to brown, about four minutes.
Add butter or oil to the pan and cook for four more minutes.
Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the lemon juice mixture and cook for 2 - 4 additional minutes.
Serving Suggestions for this Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Serve as a side with a Tamari Aioli. Mix ½ cup plain yogurt or mayo with 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari, ½ tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons Swerve sweetener (or sweetener of choice), and a teaspoon of minced garlic. Add in in pinch of cayenne pepper if desired.
- Cook 8 ounces of gluten-free spaghetti. While the spaghetti and Brussels are cooking, add a tablespoon of oil to a skillet. Add ½ diced red onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and reduce the heat to low. Add ½ cup whole milk (or half-and-half) and ¼ cup vegetable broth. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 4 minutes. Stir in the pasta and top with the Brussels sprouts.
- Serve with a grilled steak.
- This one sounds a little crazy, but Brussels sprouts are great on white pizza. Brush a prepared gluten-free pizza crust with a tablespoon of garlic oil. Bake at 420 degrees for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 ounces of Manchego cheese and chopped Brussels. Cook for 4 minutes. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the pizza and serve.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 69.5mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.2mg