Black Bean Quinoa Burger
For a healthy lunch or dinner try a Black Bean Quinoa Burger! This easy recipe is gluten-free and loaded with spices - perfect for Meatless Monday. Vegetarian with a vegan option.
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans divided
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I used ¾ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon ground pepper)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded (or Daiya Shreds)
- 2 eggs beaten, or 2 flax eggs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil for cooking
Place ½ cup of black beans in the bowl of the food processor with the chipotle chili. Pulse until well combined. Combine with the remainder of black beans in a large bowl.
Heat skillet sprayed with oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and combine with black bean mixture.
Stir in quinoa, breadcrumbs and cilantro. Allow to cool for 3–4 minutes and add in eggs and cheese.
Form patties and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Heat oil large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 6 minutes per side.
Optional: For firmer burgers in the center, bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve on buns with desired fixings. Also great over a bed of greens.
For Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers:
- Use Daiya shreds in place of cheese and substitute flax eggs for the eggs. It will not hold together quite as well, so be careful when flipping. Cooking in an Air Fryer works great here.
Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 540IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 2.8mg