This easy to make Veggie Paella is a simplified version of an extravagant dish you love! This is a satisfying vegetarian one-dish meal that is perfect for a weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Vegetarian Yellow Rice or white rice + 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 ¼ cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas thawed
- 14 ounces artichoke chopped
- ⅓ cup green olives chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon Wedges and parsley for garnish
Heat avocado oil in a large shallow skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, garlic, saffron, smoked paprika, and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook, occasionally stirring, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in rice mix and 2 ¼ cup of water or broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 18 minutes.
Add the peas, artichoke hearts, and olives to the pan. Cook, without stirring, until the rice is al dente and forms a crust at the bottom of the pan, about 5 more minutes.
Stir in lemon juice and garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR THE VEGETARIAN PAELLA RECIPE
- Use leftovers to stuff peppers! Hollow out the peppers and stuff. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees, until the peppers start to blister.
VARIATIONS FOR THIS VEGETARIAN PAELLA RECIPE
- Add 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed when you add the peas.
- Add 8 ounces sliced mushrooms with the onion.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 469mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3015IU | Vitamin C: 91.7mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2.2mg