about the recipe
Are you looking for an easy side dish recipe that will pair well with just about anything? Braised Red Cabbage with Apples is a savory-sweet side dish that pairs well with roasted meats, turkey, or grilled chicken. This easy recipe is made in one pot and can be made ahead of time for an easy weeknight meal!
– 8 ounces bacon chopped – ½ cup diced red onion – 1 head red cabbage cored and sliced thin – 1 cup chicken broth – 1 teaspoon sea salt – 1 Granny Smith apple cored and grated – ¼ cup apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon maple syrup – 1 tablespoon dijon mustard – To serve: goat cheese crumbles butter, parsley, salt, and pepper, to taste
– Heat a Dutch oven or large pot to medium-high heat. Add the bacon, and cook until crispy brown, about 10 minutes.
– Remove from the heat with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
– Add the onion, and cook for two minutes.
– Increase the heat to high and add the cabbage, broth, and salt.
– Bring to a boil.
– Cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. – Uncover, and stir in the apple, vinegar, maple, syrup, and Dijon mustard.
– Cook over high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes longer. – Toss with the bacon. – Remove from heat. – Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.