about the recipe
Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole is one you don't want to miss! This recipe works just as well as a weeknight standby as it does on your holiday table. Have fun with it and adapt it to suit your needs - adding in cooked chicken or tempeh is an excellent way to up the protein factor, or you can add sauteed spinach for more vegetables.
– 4 cups butternut squash peeled and diced – 1 teaspoon olive oil – 3 shallots minced – 1 tablespoon fresh sage – 6 cloves garlic minced – 1 cup of quinoa rinsed – 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you aren't vegetarian – 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – 2 eggs beaten (optional) – ½ cup milk dairy, soy or almond – 1 cup Gruyere or Vegan cheese shredded
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Add squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
– Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sage and cook for 8 minutes or until shallots are tender.
– Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in quinoa and squash and stir for another minute.
– Add in broth, black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
– Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
– Move the quinoa mixture to an oven safe pan. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs and pour over the quinoa mixture. Top with cheese.
– Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, broil for two minutes to brown the top.