about the recipe
Calling all mac and cheese lovers! Get ready to dive into a creamy, indulgent bowl of homemade goodness with our Cast Iron Mac and Cheese recipe. This classic dish is cooked to perfection in a trusty cast iron skillet, giving it that irresistible crispy texture on top. In just a few simple steps, you'll be able to create a comfort food masterpiece that will have your taste buds doing a happy dance.
– 16 ounces elbow noodles – 3 tablespoons unsalted butter – 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour – 3 cups whole milk – 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar – 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese – 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese – ½ teaspoon sea salt – ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper Topping – ¾ cup panko bread crumbs – ½ cup grated parmesan cheese – 2 tablespoons butter melted and cooled slightly
– Preheat the oven to 350° F.
– Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until lightly browned about 2 minutes.
– Gradually stir in the milk, whisking to combine.
– Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheeses, and cook until the cheese melts.
– Stir in the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
– In a small bowl stir together the panko, parmesan, and butter. Sprinkle on top of the pasta
– Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.