about the recipe
Give this Cheesy Chicken and Rice a try for comfort food that the whole family will ask for again and again. It is cheesy, creamy, and so delicious. Plus, this kid-friendly dinner is easy to make. Give it a try, and it will surely become a regular in your dinnertime rotation.
Chicken – 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast – 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt – 1 teaspoon garlic powder – ½ teaspoon black pepper – 2 tablespoons avocado oil Cheese Sauce – 3 tablespoons butter – 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour – 2 ½ cups milk – 16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided – 1 teaspoon dried mustard – 1 teaspoon garlic powder – ¼ teaspoon black pepper Casserole – 6 cups cooked rice – ½ cup sour cream
– Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until it is browned. – Transfer the browned chicken to a large bowl.
– Place a saucepan over medium heat. – Add the butter and cook until the butter melts. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook for 3 minutes, whisking often.
– Add 8 ounces of the cheese, and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the cheese melts. – Stir in the dried mustard, garlic powder, and black pepper.
– Preheat the oven to 350° F. – Add the rice to the bowl with the chicken.
– Stir in the cheese sauce and sour cream.
– Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. – Cook for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.