about the recipe
– 20 ounces frozen green beans – 2 tablespoons butter – 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms – 1 onion diced – 1 teaspoon minced garlic – 1 teaspoon dried thyme – ¼ cup all purpose flour – ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth – 1 ½ cups half and half – 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided – 1 teaspoon sea salt – ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – 1 cup fried onions
– Preheat the oven to 400° F. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray, and arrange the green beans in the bottom of it.
– Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook for 8 minutes. – Add the garlic and thyme, and flour and cook for 1 more minute.
– Stir in the broth until combined, and then add the half and half. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
-Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, and pepper.
-Cook until the cheese melts.
– Pour the sauce over the green beans.
Top with the remaining cup of cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Add the onions, and bake for 5 more minutes. – Serve warm.