about the recipe
In the mood for a hearty, savory dish that's sure to satisfy? We've got you covered with our Slow Cooker Black Beans with Bacon! This simple recipe combines the creaminess of slow-cooked black beans with the smoky flavor of bacon. It's a side that's not only delicious but also teaches you the beauty of slow cooking, transforming simple ingredients into a dish bursting with flavor and texture. Perfect for family dinners or a comforting meal on a chilly day.
– 1 pound dried black beans soaked overnight – 8 ounces bacon optional; for a vegan option add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika – 1 large white onion diced (or 2 small) – 1 tablespoon garlic powder – 1 bay leaf – 1 teaspoon ground cumin – 1 teaspoon chili powder preferably ancho chili powder – ½ teaspoon oregano preferably Mexican Oregano – 4 cups chicken broth more as needed – 2 teaspoons sea salt
– Drain black beans.
– Add bacon, onion, garlic powder, bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and broth.
– Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
– Adding the salt in the last 30 minutes.
– Add more liquid as needed.