about the recipe
Crockpot Mac and Cheese is a simple dish pulled together with fridge and pantry staples. This recipe is easy enough to tackle any night of the week, and delicious enough for a special occasion. Any time you need comfort food, this mac and cheese delivers - it is one you will go back to again and again.
– 1 pound elbow macaroni – ¼ cup butter – ¼ cup all purpose flour – 2 cups whole milk – 12 ounces evaporated milk – 1 teaspoon garlic powder – ½ teaspoon ground mustard – ½ teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper – 16 ounces shredded cheddar divided – 8 ounces American cheese diced
– Cook the pasta in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain, and transfer to your slow cooker.
– Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat or in your slow cooker if it has an saute function. – Add the flour, and cook for 3 minutes, whisking often.
– Add the milk, evaporated milk, garlic powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper. – Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
– Reduce heat to low and add in 12 ounces of the cheddar cheese and the American cheese.
– Stir to combine. – Pour over the noodles.
– Cook on low for 2 hours, or high for 1 hour. – Add the remaining 4 ounces of cheese. Cover until the cheese melts.