about the recipe
Looking to take your comfort food game to the next level? Look no further than this homemade Gouda Mac and Cheese recipe! With a combination of gouda, smoked gouda, and sharp cheddar cheese, this recipe provides a flavor explosion with every bite. Get ready to dive into a bowl of cheesy perfection!
– 16 ounces elbow noodles – 3 tablespoons butter – 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour – 3 cups whole milk – 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese shredded – 1 pound gouda cheese shredded – ½ pound smoked gouda shredded – 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard – 1 teaspoon salt – ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper Topping – 2 tablespoons butter – ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
– Preheat the broiler to high. – Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain.
– While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. – Add the flour, and whisk until golden brown. Add the milk, and cook for 6 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
– Stir in the mustard, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
– Melt the butter in a large oven-safe skillet and add the panko.
– Cook for 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
– Toss the drained pasta and cheese sauce in the skillet.
– Top the pasta with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and the breadcrumbs.
– Place under the broiler for 2 to 4 minutes until the cheese is melted.