about the recipe
This Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole is a delicious side dish perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas, yet easy enough for weeknight family dinners. With its creamy interior and gooey marshmallow topping, this casserole combines simple ingredients with the magic of slow cooking to create a mouthwatering masterpiece.
– 1 pound ground beef – ½ cup minced onion – 1 tablespoon minced garlic – 4 ½ cups marinara sauce – 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning – ½ teaspoon sea salt
Filling – 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese – 2 eggs – 2 ounces parmesan cheese shredded – 2 tablespoons fresh parsley – ½ teaspoon sea salt
Lasagna – 12 lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions – 1 pound mozzarella cheese shredded – 4 ounces parmesan cheese shredded
– Preheat the oven to 350° F.
– Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onion, and cook, breaking up the onion with a spoon, until the ground beef is brown about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 1 more minute. Drain off any excess fat.
– Stir in the marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt and cook over medium for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
– Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt.
– Spread ½ cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
– Top with a layer of noodles, ½ of the cottage cheese mixture, and ⅓ of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
– Spread ⅓ of the remaining marinara and repeat the layers.
– End with a layer of noodles, marinara, and the remaining cheese.
– Bake for 30 minutes, covering with aluminum foil if it starts to brown too much. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, and then slice and serve.