about the recipe
Looking for a festive treat with the best flavors of the season? You will love this cranberry orange bread. It is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy, and sure to brighten up your holiday buffet.
Cranberries – 1 cup fresh cranberries – ¼ cup sugar – 1 tablespoon orange zest – 1 teaspoon lemon zest – 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour Bread – ½ cup milk – ½ tablespoon lemon juice – 1 ½ cups all purpose flour – ½ cup yellow cornmeal – ⅔ cup brown sugar – 1 teaspoon baking powder – ½ teaspoon salt – ½ cup butter melted and cooled slightly – 2 large eggs beaten Optional Glaze – ¾ cup confectioner's sugar – 1-2 tablespoons milk or orange juice
– Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. In a medium bowl, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange zest, lemon zest, and flour. Toss until combined.
– Grease a 9 x 5 bread pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper so that the sides overlap. Spray the parchment paper. Add the cranberry mixture to the bottom of the pan.
– Whisk together the milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes
– In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.
– Pour the milk mixture, butter, and eggs into the well.
– Stir until just combined.
– Pour on top of the cranberry mixture. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out with moist crumbs. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
– Remove from the pan using the parchment paper. Use a serrated knife to flatten the top of the bread.
– Invert on a serving platter and carefully remove the parchment paper. If you want to glaze the bread, whisk the confectioner's sugar and milk or orange juice in a small bowl. Add just enough liquid so that the mixture comes together. Drizzle on top of the bread.