about the recipe
If you are looking for a dreamy creamy treat this holiday season, you will love this peppermint ice cream. It is rich and decadent, with a refreshing peppermint flavor and festive pink color. Try it once, and this easy Christmas dessert will become a winter favorite.
– ¾ cup whole milk – ½ cup sugar – ⅛ teaspoon salt – 1 ¼ cups heavy cream – 2 eggs – 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract – ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
– In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, and salt over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
– Pour the heavy cream into a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and set a medium sieve on top.
– In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs. Pour a small amount of warm milk mixture into the eggs and whisk well. Continue slowly incorporating the warm milk into the yolks.
– Pour the eggs and milk back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. The ice cream mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
– Pour the mixture through the strainer into the heavy cream. Whisk well and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
– Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour the peppermint candy in during the last 5 minutes of processing.
– When ice cream comes out of maker it will be fairly soft. Put in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for at least an hour.