about the recipe
These Quinoa Patties are something special! They will remind you a bit of hash browns, minus all the white carbs. This kid-friendly recipe is one you will turn to again and again. It is perfect for meal prep since they keep well in the fridge, and can also be frozen.
– 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa – 4 large eggs beaten (or flax eggs) – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or Chipotle Chili Powder optional – ½ teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon black pepper – ⅔ cup fresh chives chopped or parsley (I use a blend) – 1 onion chopped fine – ⅔ cup fresh Parmesan grated (Vegetarian Parm or ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast and 2 tablespoons vegan cheese) – 1 tablespoon garlic minced – 1 cup breadcrumbs gluten free – avocado oil for cooking (About 2 tablespoons)
– In a medium bowl combine quinoa, eggs, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in chives, onion, parmesan, and garlic.
– Add breadcrumbs and stir until well combined. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
– Form into patties. You and make them any size you like—I prefer to keep them small because it makes for easy flipping.
– The mixture should be very moist. You may need to add water or extra breadcrumbs to moisten or make the mixture dryer. – Place a large skillet over medium low heat. Heat avocado oil. Add as many patties as your skillet can handle, being careful not to overload it so that you have trouble flipping the quinoa patties.
– Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes your patties aren't brown turn the heat up and cook (carefully to avoid burning) until they brown. Flip and cook for 7 more minutes on the other side. – Allow to cool on a wire rack, keeping your spatula handy to fend off family members who try to steal them.