about the recipe
Nothing beats a warm and comforting bowl of soup. And when it comes to comforting soups, few can compare to a creamy and hearty tortellini soup. This slow cooker tortellini soup is so easy to make, and it's packed with flavors and textures that will have you coming back for seconds. Get ready to cozy up with a delicious bowl of soup.
– 2 tablespoons butter – 1 onion chopped – 2 carrots peeled and chopped – 1 pound Italian sausage casings removed and broken into pieces – 2 teaspoons minced garlic – 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried – ½ teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper – 6 cups chicken broth – 6 ounces cream cheese cubed – 1 cup grated parmesan cheese – 16 ounces dried cheese tortellini – 4 cups chopped fresh spinach – 1 cup half and half
– Melt the butter using the saute function of your slow cooker. If your slow cooker doesn’t have a saute function, melt the butter in a skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
– Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
– Add the sausage, breaking it up with the back of the spoon. Cook for 5 minutes, until the sausage is browned.
– Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and red pepper and cook for another 30 seconds. – Hit cancel if you are sautéing in your slow cooker. Alternatively, transfer the mixture to your slow cooker.
– Add the broth and cream cheese and cover. Cook on low for 4 hours. – Add the parmesan cheese and whisk to combine.
– Add the tortellini and make sure the pasta is submerged in the liquid. Cook for another 1 hour on low.
– Add the spinach, and press down into the liquid. Cook for another 10 minutes, until the leaves are wilted. – Add the half and half and stir to combine.