about the recipe
This Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole is the perfect one dish meal! It works equally well for an easy weeknight meal as it does as a healthy dish for entertaining. Gluten Free and Vegetarian, this quinoa casserole can easily be made vegan.
– 5 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes – 1 tablespoon avocado oil or high heat oil of choice, divided – 1 medium yellow onion finely diced – 1 red pepper diced – 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped – 1 tablespoon minced garlic – 1 cup quinoa rinsed – 1 ¾ cups vegetable broth – 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt – ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – 2 eggs beaten (optional) – ½ cup milk of choice – 6 ounces Gruyere cheese grated or vegan shreds
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. – In a medium bowl, toss together sweet potatoes and ½ tablespoon of oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
– Add garlic, quinoa and sweet potatoes and stir for a minute. – Add broth, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
– Cover and cook on low for 25 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
– Transfer the quinoa mixture to an 8 x 8 baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Pour over the quinoa. Top with cheese.
– Add more liquid as needed.