about the recipe
For a bowl full of comfort and satisfaction, this creamy, homemade white cheddar mac and cheese is perfect. We begin by by creating a smooth and velvety cheese sauce that will tantalize your taste buds. To achieve the ultimate baked mac and cheese consistency, we top it off with a crispy breadcrumb layer, and then bake it to perfection in the oven. This easy-to-follow, family-friendly recipe takes less than an hour from start to finish.
– 16 ounces elbow noodles – ¼ cup butter – ¼ cup all-purpose flour – 3 cups whole milk – 1 ½ pounds sharp white cheddar cheese – ½ pound smoked Gouda cheese – 4 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes – 1 teaspoon dried mustard – 1 teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper Topping – 2 tablespoons olive oil – ½ cup breadcrumbs
– Preheat your oven to 350° F. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray. – Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
– While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook for three minutes.
– Reduce the heat to low and add the cheddar cheese, gouda cheese, and cream cheese. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until the cheese melts.
– Stir in the dried mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
– Toss the drained noodles with the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
– Stir the breadcrumbs and oil together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
– Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and bubbly.