Air Fryer Empanadas
about the recipe
These savory Air Fryer Empanadas with chicken are a lighter version of the classic dish that turns out every bit as delicious and satisfying! Thanks to the magic of the air fryer, we can use less oil than deep frying and still get that perfectly-golden pastry shell. Meanwhile, the shredded chicken and melty cheese filling come together for an irresistible snack or meal!
– 1 store-bought pie crust about 7 ounces — gluten-free if necessary – ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese – ¼ cup shredded chicken such as Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken – 1 tablespoon milk – 1 egg beaten
– Preheat your air fryer to 375° F. – Roll out the pie crust and cut it into 3 circles.
– Gather the remaining dough and roll out again. Cut it into a circle. (You can use an empanada press, but it isn't necessary.)
– Place 2 tablespoons of cheese and 1 tablespoon of chicken in the center of each circle.
– Dab the edge of each circle with milk. Fold the circles in half so that the two sides of the dough come together.
– Use a fork or empanada to press the sides of the empanadas.
– Brush the tops and bottoms of the empanadas with the beaten egg. – Place in a single layer in your air fryer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.