about the recipe
If you want all the flavors of French onion soup in a delicious meal that you can enjoy year-round, this Instant Pot French Onion Chicken is for you. It has everything you love about the soup - from tasty caramelized onions to a gooey cheese topping - in a simple dish perfect for a weeknight.
– 2 tablespoons butter – 3 yellow onions sliced – 1 teaspoon minced garlic – ½ cup beef broth – ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar – ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast – 1 teaspoon garlic powder – 1 teaspoon onion powder – 2 teaspoons salt – ½ teaspoon black pepper – 8 slices Swiss cheese – 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– Turn your Instant Pot to a high saute. – When it says HOT, add the butter.
– Once the butter melts, add the onion. – Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Add the broth, and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot. – Hit cancel.
– Add the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. – Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion, salt, and pepper.
– Arrange the chicken on top of the onions as close to a single layer as possible. – Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure and the time to 8 minutes. – Add the lid and set it to sealing.
– When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release. – Preheat the broiler. – Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the Instant Pot and arrange them on top of the chicken.
– Top with the cheese. – Broil until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
– While the cheese is melting, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and stir into the instant pot. Set the pot to saute and cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
– Serve the chicken with the sauce.