If you want all the flavors of French onion soup in a delicious meal that you can enjoy year-round, this Instant Pot French Onion Chicken is for you. It has everything you love about the soup - from tasty caramelized onions to a gooey cheese topping - in a simple dish perfect for a weeknight.
Looking for an easy and delicious dinner idea?
Look no further than this Instant Pot French Onion Chicken.
It is the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of French onion soup in a hearty and satisfying meal.
Seasoned chicken breasts are cooked in the pressure cooker until tender and then topped with gooey cheese, caramelized onions, and a delicious au jus.
This recipe has minimal prep time – just what you need for busy weeknights!
The perfect comfort food, this easy French onion chicken can be on the table in less than 40 minutes!
This Recipe Is:
- quick and easy to make
- perfect for busy weeknights!
Ingredients for Making French Onion Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter - just make sure to adjust the seasonings accordingly. Olive oil will also work, but I don’t recommend using extra virgin in the Instant Pot.
- Onions: Look for yellow onions, as they tend to be the sweetest.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is best, but pre-minced garlic from a jar can be used.
- Beef Broth: Beef broth is the best in this recipe and has more traditional flavors, but you can also use chicken broth if that is what you have.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This adds a touch of acidity and sweetness to the chicken. If you don’t have balsamic vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Just keep in mind that the flavor will be slightly different.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This is a classic ingredient in French onion soup - it adds depth of flavor.
- Chicken Breast: Boneless and skinless chicken breast works best. You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper add flavor to the dish.
- Cheese: Swiss cheese is classic, but you can also use Gruyere, Provolone, or Mozzarella. Non-dairy cheese may also be used if you like.
- Cornstarch: This is used as a thickener for the sauce.
Tips & Tricks
- If your chicken is especially thick, it is a good idea to pound it to an even thickness.
- For a creamy, albeit non-traditional, gravy, add a little cream cheese to thicken the broth instead of cornstarch.
- Add green onion, parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes for garnish and extra flavor.
- If you want to lighten up your meal, leave off the cheese topping.
- An instant-read thermometer ensures the internal temperature is 165° F before serving.
- Omit the Worcestershire sauce to make this recipe keto-friendly.
Turn this easy chicken dinner into a meal with a side dish or two! Some great options include:
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Green Beans
- Garlic Bread or Slices of Texas toast
- Roasted Vegetables
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Quick Release My Instant Pot?
To quick release your Instant Pot, simply turn the valve from sealing to venting. Doing so will allow the steam to escape and the pressure to release quickly.
I Don’t Have Saute Mode in my Pressure Cooker. Can I Still Make This?
If your pressure cooker doesn’t have a saute function, you can brown the chicken in a separate skillet on the stovetop. Then, just add the rest of the ingredients and cook according to the recipe instructions.
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts. Just note that the cooking time will be longer since the chicken will need to thaw first.
Can This Be Made In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make this in a slow cooker. Brown the chicken on the stovetop, then add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
This dish will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, place the dish in the microwave or a 350-degree oven until heated.
How to Make Pressure Cooker French Onion Chicken
First, start by preheating your Instant Pot. Turn it to the high saute setting.
Next, add the butter to the pot and let it melt. Then, add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After that, add the beef broth and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot. (Make sure that the bottom of the pot is well scraped to avoid getting the burn signal.)
Then, hit cancel.
Add the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Arrange the chicken on top of the onions as close to a single layer as possible.
Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure and the time to 8 minutes. Add the lid and set it to seal.
Pressure cook for 8 minutes.
When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
Preheat the oven broiler.
Use tongs or a spatula to transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the Instant Pot and arrange them on top of the chicken.
Top with the cheese.
Broil until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
While the cheese is melting, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and stir into the instant pot. Set the pot to saute and deglaze for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve the chicken with the sauce.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 yellow onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Turn your Instant Pot to a high saute.
- When it says HOT, add the butter.
- Once the butter melts, add the onion.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Hit cancel.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken on top of the onions as close to a single layer as possible.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure and the time to 8 minutes.
- Add the lid and set it to sealing.
- When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the Instant Pot and arrange them on top of the chicken.
- Top with the cheese.
- Broil until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- While the cheese is melting, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and stir into the instant pot. Set the pot to saute and cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce.