about the recipe
When you’re craving creamy comfort food, Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Breadcrumbs adds a level of crunch that makes it irresistible! It has all the indulgent nostalgia of the boxed Mac & Cheese you grew up with, but with a sophisticated twist that takes it to the next level. (It’s great for kids and adults alike!) Golden brown breadcrumbs on top of elbow macaroni smothered in ooey gooey melted cheddar and gouda or gruyere is an absolute dream.
– 16 ounces elbow noodles – ¼ cup butter – ¼ cup flour – 3 ½ cups whole milk – 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese divided (½ shredded ½ cubed) – ½ pound smoked gouda or gruyere shredded – 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard – 1 teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Buttery Crumbs – 3 tablespoons butter – ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. – Cook pasta in salted water according to package direction.
– Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown.
– Whisk in milk in slowly until well combined and cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
– Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the shredded cheddar and gouda or gruyere cheese. Cook until melted, then add in Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined.
– When pasta is cooked, drain and toss with cheese sauce and cubed cheddar cheese. Transfer to prepared pan.
– Melt butter in a small saucepan. Toss with crumbs and sprinkle on top of pasta.
– Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.