about the recipe
If you like easy recipes that make the whole family happy, you are going to love these shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich recipe. With a tangy sauce and a deliciously crunchy slaw, this is one that is loved by kids and adults alike. This recipe has saved dinner at our house more times than I can count.
Ingredients – 1 cup ketchup – ¼ cup spicy mustard – 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup – ¼ cup water – 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder – 1 tablespoon smoked paprika – 2 teaspoons garlic powder – 2 teaspoons onion powder – 1 teaspoon ground cumin – 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce gluten free – ½ teaspoon sea salt – 32 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs – 12 gluten free sandwich buns Slaw – 8 cups green and red cabbage shredded – ½ cup grated sweet onion – 2 carrots peeled and shredded – ⅓ cup plain Greek Yogurt or mayonnaise – 2 tablespoons mayonnaise – 2 tablespoons spicy mustard – 2 tablespoons cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon celery seeds – sea salt, pepper, and sweetener to taste
– Spray your slow cooker with olive oil and place chicken in the bottom. Top with sauce. Cook for 4 to 6 hours on low. Serve on toasted buns with pickles and hot sauce if desired
– Place 1 cup of water or broth in the bottom of your Instant Pot and add the trivet. Add the chicken and top with the remaining sauce. DO NOT STIR.
– Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the valve is sealed.
– Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. – Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release.
– Make the slaw by placing green cabbage, red cabbage, onion and carrots in a large bowl. – In a medium bowl whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, celery, salt, pepper and stevia. Pour over slaw and stir until combined. Refrigerate until serving.
– Allow the chicken to cool slightly and then use forks to shred. – Serve on toasted buns with pickles and hot sauce if desired