Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are the perfect easy to make meal that the whole family will enjoy. With just enough kick for the grown-ups and not too much for the kids, this recipe is one you will want in your meal plan rotation.
True story: Skye’s favorite thing in world to do is play with rocks. I have to laugh because I always call her “my princess” and as fate would have it I’m pretty sure she is naturally the toughest of my three kids.
The girl will crawl and walk across rock beds that I can’t even think about tolerating without shoes. Willingly. She then likes to torment me by pretending she is going to put them in her mouth, making me say “no mouth”, handing the rock to me and clapping for herself for being such a good girl!
The toddlers ability to repeat things never ceases to amaze me. She would repeat this cycle for hours if we would let her. In her prettiest dress covered in dirt.
And I love every minute of it. She reminds me of myself already. I can remember taking my beloved Barbies out to my fort and making a swimming pool in the mud.
You know what else I’m loving right now? My Crock Pot is my new BFF.
In mentioned in my last Crock Pot Recipe Post that it was only recently that I started using my Slow Cooker on a regular basis.
It is safe to say that I am making up for lost time.
Today’s recipe is one I’ve already made several times. After the first time I was tempted to kick up the spices a bit, then I remembered that I’d finally found something the whole family would eat and I’d be much better off adding a little hot sauce for the grown ups. If you have older kids who don’t pretend that you are trying to abuse them when you feed them something spicy (even though their toddler sister is just fine with it), feel free to add in 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne or chipotle chile powder.
If You Like These Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches You May Also Like:
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
These slow cooker barbecue chicken sandwiches with skinny slaw is an easy gluten free dinner for busy families.
- 1 cup gluten free organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 16 ounces boneless chicken thighs
- 12 gluten free sandwich buns
- Serve with slaw and organic pickles and hot sauce
- Skinny Slaw
- 4 cups green cabbage shredded
- 4 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup grated sweet onion
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1/3 cup non fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- stevia to taste (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk together ketchup, mustard, honey or syrup, water, apple cider vinegar, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and sea salt.
- Spray your slow cooker with olive oil and place chicken in the bottom. Top with sauce. Cook for 4 to 6 hours on low. Serve on toasted buns with pickles and hot sauce if desired
- Make the slaw by placing green cabbage, red cabbage, onion and carrots in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, celery, salt, pepper and stevia. Pour over slaw and stir until combined. Refrigerate until serving.
Servings 12, Calories 436, Fat 16g, Carbohydrates 49.1g, Protein 25.6g, Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 774mg, Potassium 295mg, Fiber 6.6g, Sugars 13g, WW Pts 11