about the recipe
This Cranberry Apple Wild Rice Pilaf is a simple fall side dish. It is vegan and gluten free, making it the perfect addition to your holiday table.
– 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil – 1 yellow onion chopped – 1 tablespoon minced garlic – 2 cups uncooked wild rice – 4 ½ cups vegetable broth – 1 teaspoon dried thyme – 1 teaspoon sea salt – ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper – 1 green apple diced – 1 tablespoon lemon juice – 1 cup dried cranberries – ½ cup chopped pecans – 2 tablespoons parsley
– Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for one-minute longer.
– Increase heat to medium-high and add wild rice. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth, thyme, sea salt and pepper.
– Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 35 minutes, until the rice is tender. (Note: Wild Rice cooking time can vary, so make sure you check the cooking time on the brand you purchase. I’ve had some brands take up to an hour to cook.)
– Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
– Toss together diced apple and lemon just in a small bowl. Add apple, dries cranberries and pecans to the rice and toss. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.