Good news, folks!
Chocolate during Valentine’s Day doesn’t count.
Well, not exactly. But wouldn’t that be nice?
Truth be told, I do a pretty good job at staying away from the sweet stuff most of the time. I actually have had a dark chocolate bar in my purse for two weeks I’ve been nibbling on.
One of my keys to success is that I rarely buy anything sweet and I try to only make desserts that I know the boys will love.
Alex has a thing for mint, and since he’s the picky one I decided that we would make some mint brownies this week. (Would you believe he won’t eat regular brownies?)
Oh, my. These Mint Quinoa Brownies tested even my resolve.
Good thing the boys are cute or I might have been tempted to do the back of the fridge trick I use to keep hubby from eating things. Or maybe even bottom of the produce drawer where the boys would never, ever look.
Lucky for them in the spirit of love and all that jazz I didn’t.
If you have a mint-lover that you love, this is a great way to brighten up their holiday.
(And if not, I have a Nutella Tart that I’m hoping to re-test the crust for and get up soon.)
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free quinoa flour blend (or 1/2 cup toasted quinoa flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter or Earth Balance, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten (see note)
- 2/3 cup agave nectar, honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup slivered almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, quinoa, cocoa, baking powder and sea salt
- Place chocolate chips on the top of a double broiler heated to medium. Melt chocolate, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in butter, coconut oil, eggs, agave nectar, milk, mint extract and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in almonds if using.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.