Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a fast and easy veggie side that people go crazy for! You will be surprised at how well it tips its hat to classic Spanish rice but without the carbs. A drizzle of lime juice and a sprinkling of cilantro at the end completes this simple dish with an extra pop of flavor. It is just the right match for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or grilled chicken.
Cauliflower Spanish Rice is such a great alternative to white rice when you are watching your carbs.
This recipe has become a year-round staple in my side dish repertoire - it is perfect for any time I am serving southwestern or Mexican food.
When you can serve a dish that is low carb, keto, dairy-free, and gluten-free that the whole family loves, I call that winning!
If you are looking to limit carbs, are on weight watchers, or are just trying to lower your calories, this is sure to become one of your favorite cauliflower rice recipes.
Ingredients for Making Keto Spanish Rice
- Cauliflower: I typically use a whole cauliflower and pulse it in my food processor to make "rice," but if you want to buy pre-riced cauliflower, you can.
- Oil: Olive oil or avocado oil works well here.
- Tomato Sauce: If you have any leftovers, freeze it for next time. If you would like a touch more sweetness (and aren't concerned with added carbs), tomato paste is also a great option.
- Broth: I find that making my own saves money and yields the best flavor, but you can purchase broth if you need to.
- Garlic: I like fresh minced garlic, but garlic powder may be used in its place.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper give Spanish-inspired flavors.
- Lime Juice: Finishing with lime juice brightens the dish.
- Fresh Cilantro: This gives a final pop of flavor.
- Add ½ diced onion to the skillet.
- Add ½ cup thawed frozen baby peas when you add the seasonings. Omit the cilantro and garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower for Broccoli rice.
- For added flavor in your Mexican cauliflower rice, you can add in 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
- Make Spanish Yellow Cauliflower Rice by adding ½ teaspoon ground turmeric and a pinch of saffron.
Short on Time?
It is easy to find already riced cauliflower at most grocery stores. You will find it in the produce section most often.
You can even find frozen rice to make cauliflower recipes even easier to throw together.
- If you find that your cauliflower rice is sticking to the pan, you can fix this by adding a little more oil or liquid to the pan.
- Frozen Riced Cauliflower tends to have a bit more liquid. Make sure you give it time to cook off!
- Spanish rice with cauliflower rice works well as a side dish for tacos, enchiladas, or burritos.
- It is fabulous with Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
- Serve with Chicken with Avocado Sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Buy Cauli Rice?
Absolutely! Trader Joe’s was one of the first to come out with it. Now, there are numerous brands available including Green Giant and Birds Eye. I have even seen several grocery stores with store brands. Look for it in the freezer section and the produce section.
How Do You Cook Cauliflower Rice?
The best way to cook it is to saute in a little oil for five minutes. Add liquid to the pan and cover. Cook for another five to ten minutes.
How Long Can You Keep Cauliflower Rice in the Fridge?
It will keep in the fridge for up to five days, loosely wrapped in plastic or a vegetable bag. Caufliower is best stored whole because the florets begin to lose moisture when they are cut.
How Do I Pick the Best Cauliflower?
Cauliflower should be pale white. Yellow or brown spots should be avoided, but minor ones can easily be trimmed off. Look for a head that has bright pale green leaves that are formed tightly around the base.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
- Food Processor (I ADORE this food processor. I have had many and this is the best. You may also use a hand grater.)
- Large Skillet
Spanish rice using cauliflower can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
More Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- This Coconut Cauliflower Rice is an excellent twist on cauli-rice.
- Looking for a complete meal? You will LOVE this Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice! It is a one-pot meal that comes together in less than 20 minutes - recipes with cauliflower rice don't get any better than this!
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is a delicious side you will turn to again and again.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Food Processor
- Large Saute Pan
- 16 ounces cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a food processor and process until “riced”.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add cauliflower and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, garlic, onion powder, cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, until tender.
- Uncover. Toss with lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
This was amazing! Love it!
I love your Low carb New recipe idea "Spanish cauliflower rice" but more than that I loved the way you wrote about it. That made this post more interesting. Keep writing. 🙂
Can frozen cauliflower rice be used instead of fresh and dealing with processor?
I'm very new to the Keto/Low Carb diet. I was so sad thinking that I was going to have to give up Mexican food. Then I came across you recipe and was so Happy! I tried your recipe and it was really good except that it was really salty. I don't add salt to my food when I cook or after...but thank you so much for coming up with this recipe. God Bless.
Yes! Yes! and Yes!!
And I did it super lazy! I also added an extra cup of water to the recipe and threw 12 oz cauliflower/ sweet potato in a rice cooker (feeling lazy) and it came out perfect 🙂
Way too much pepper.
You could always dial it back if pepper isn't your thing, but I honestly double the pepper when I make it for our family. I like food that has a kick to it. A 1/4 teaspoon of pepper for four servings really isn't that much at all.
I just made this tonight (hubby and I are low carb). I doubled your recipe and used frozen riced cauliflower because I love the convenience. This was DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for sharing it!!!!
I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I've been using frozen cauliflower quite a bit myself lately!
thank Wendy! Previously I did not know that the SPANISH CAULIFLOWER RICE is so great!
temple run 3
wow, this dish looks delicious, i also want to try it, thank you for sharing the way.
I made this for dinner tonight and my 4 year old grandson ate 4 helpings. He loved it! Great recipe.
You made my day! Nothing better than when you can get little ones eating veggies.
This was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe. 🙂
I was surprised at how good this was, and so were the picky eaters in my family! I didn't have tomato sauce on hand, so I added extra broth and tomato paste from a tube gradually until I got the color I wanted in the mixture. I also added the zest from the lime, which I think put it over the top.
So glad that you enjoyed it - and especially that you even got your picky eaters to eat it! LOVE the addition of lime zest. It is amazing how just a touch of citrus can brighten a dish up.
Wendy, what is your opinion on the addition of mild green chilies? I’m thinking about adding them.
I think that would be AMAZING! If you try it let me know how it goes!
This was DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for sharing it!!!!