Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a fast and easy veggie side that people go crazy for! You will be surprised at how well it tips its hat to classic Spanish Rice, but without the carbs. A drizzle of lime juice and a sprinkling of cilantro at the end completes this simple dish with an extra pop of flavor. It is just the right match for tacos, enchiladas, or grilled chicken. No surprise, this recipe has become a year-round staple in my side dish repertoire. It is low carb, keto, dairy free, and gluten-free.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice – Just as Good as the “Real Thing”!
For years it has seemed like a sick twist of fate that I adore carbs, but my body does better when I limit them.
Not only do I have more energy, but I find that the more I focus on vegetables, proteins and healthy fats the easier it is for me to lose weight.
I’ve known this for years, and I just ignored the fact because it makes me sad.
No pasta?! Whaaaa…..
Then I turned 45, and I realized that my “weight creep” had gotten out of hand. I had to do something.
I tried going (back) vegan on three occasions last year. It is an easy diet for me to maintain because I love the food.
I felt terrible.
My digestion was a disaster. I was constantly hangry, and my B12 and Iron anemia quickly resurfaced.
Oh, and I ended up gaining weight. (Who the heck does that on a vegan diet?!)
Obviously, this is frustrating because I have so many friends who do beautifully on a vegan diet. Chalk one up to bio-individuality I suppose.
In January, I refocused my diet to a lower carb, moderate protein and high in healthy fats and I feel great! I’ve lost almost 20 pounds without feeling deprived. My blood sure is stable, and I never get that “If I don’t eat in the next five minutes I am going to kill someone feeling.”
Keto Spanish Rice that tastes amazing? Yes, please!
I thought I couldn’t live without things like rice, but it turns out there is an easy substitution. This Spanish Cauliflower Rice is just as delicious as settling down to a big bowl of rice. Really, it is.
It is also the best way I’ve found to make Keto rice.
Cauliflower has quickly become a rock star in my kitchen, and I couldn’t be happier with my new leading man.
I use Cauliflower Rice all the time – from side dishes, to stir-fries and bowls ! I make my own “rice”, but many stores now carry it in the freezer section. And some have it in the produce section too. (I’ve started keeping some in the fridge for when I am short on time.)
If you are looking to limit carbs, or just lower your calories, this Spanish Cauliflower Rice Recipe is one you are going to want to try!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Recommended Tools to Make Keto Spanish Rice:
Frequently Asked Questions for this Cauliflower Spanish Rice:
Absolutely! Trader Joe’s was one of the first to come out with cauliflower rice that you can buy. Now, there are numerous brands available including Green Giant and Birds Eye. I have even seen several grocery stores with store brand cauliflower rice. Look for cauliflower rice in the freezer section and the produce section.
The best way to cook cauliflower rice is to saute in a little oil for five minutes. Add liquid to the pan and cover. Cook for another five to ten minutes.
Cauliflower Rice will keep in the fridge for up to five days loosely wrapped in plastic or a vegetable bag. It is best stored whole, because the florets begin to loose moisture when they are cut.
Cauliflower should be pale white. Yellow or brown spots should be avoided, but minor ones can easily be trimmed off. Look for a head that has bright pale green leaves that are formed tightly around the base.
Variations for Spanish Cauliflower Rice:
- Add 1/2 diced onion to the skillet with the cauliflower.
- Add 1/2 cup thawed frozen baby peas when you add the seasonings. Omit the cilantro and garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower for Broccoli rice.
- This works well as a side dish for tacos, enchiladas or burritos.
- It is fabulous with Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
- Serve with Chicken with Avocado Sauce.
Tips for Making Spanish Rice Cauliflower
- Short on time? (Or don’t have a food processor.) It is easy to find already riced cauliflower at most grocery stores. You will find it in the produce section or in the frozen section.
- If you find that your cauliflower rice is sticking to the pan, you can fix this by adding a little more oil or liquid to the pan.
If You Like this Spanish Cauliflower Rice Recipe You May Also Like:
- Sweet Mustard Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Risotto
- Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a food processor and process until “riced”.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add cauliflower and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, garlic, onion powder, cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, until tender.
- Uncover. Toss with lime juice and garnish with cilantro.