Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a fast and easy veggie side that people go crazy for! You will be surprised at how well it tips its hat to classic Spanish Rice, but without the carbs. A drizzle of lime juice and a sprinkling of cilantro at the end completes this simple dish with an extra pop of flavor. It is just the right match for tacos, enchiladas, or grilled chicken.
Lately, I have been trying to shed a few pounds, and the easiest way I have found to do this is to focus my diet on vegetables and protein.
I thought I couldn't live without things like rice, but it turns out there is an easy substitution.
This Cauliflower Spanish Rice is just as delicious as settling down to a big bowl of rice. Really, it is.
It is no surprise, this recipe has become a year-round staple in my side dish repertoire - it is absolutely perfect for any time I am serving Mexican food.
When you can serve a dish that is low carb, keto, dairy free, and gluten-free that the whole family loves, I call that winning!
Cauliflower for the Win!
Cauliflower has quickly become a rock star in my kitchen, and I couldn't be happier with my new leading star.
I use cauliflower rice all the time - from side dishes, to stir-fries and bowls ! I make my own "rice", but many stores now carry it in the freezer section.
And some have it in the produce section too. I've started keeping some in the freezer and fridge for when I am short on time.
If you are looking to limit carbs, on weight watchers, or are just trying lower your calories, this keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe is one you are going to want to try!
Tools to Make Keto Spanish Rice
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
- Food Processor (I ADORE this food processor. I have had many and this is the best. You may also use a hand grater.)
- Large Skillet
Variations for Cauliflower Spanish Rice
- Add 1/2 diced onion to the skillet .
- Add 1/2 cup thawed frozen baby peas when you add the seasonings. Omit the cilantro and garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower for Broccoli rice.
- For added flavor in your Mexican cauliflower rice, you can add in 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
- Make Spanish Yellow Cauliflower Rice by adding ½ teaspoon ground turmeric and a pinch of saffron.
- This works well as a side dish for tacos, enchiladas or burritos.
- It is fabulous with Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
- Serve with Chicken with Avocado Sauce.
Short on Time?
If you are short on time or don’t have a food processor, you can still make this rice dish.
It is easy to find already riced cauliflower at most grocery stores. You will find it in the produce section most often.
You can even find frozen rice to make this easy side.
Tips for Making Cauliflower Spanish Rice
- If you find that your cauliflower rice is sticking to the pan, you can fix this by adding a little more oil or liquid to the pan.
- Frozen Riced Cauliflower tends to have a bit more liquid. Make sure you give it time to cook off!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Trader Joe’s was one of the first to come out with it. Now, there are numerous brands available including Green Giant and Birds Eye. I have even seen several grocery stores with store brands. Look for it in the freezer section and the produce section.
The best way to cook it is to saute in a little oil for five minutes. Add liquid to the pan and cover. Cook for another five to ten minutes.
It will keep in the fridge for up to five days loosely wrapped in plastic or a vegetable bag. It is best stored whole, because the florets begin to loose moisture when they are cut
Cauliflower should be pale white. Yellow or brown spots should be avoided, but minor ones can easily be trimmed off. Look for a head that has bright pale green leaves that are formed tightly around the base.
You May Also Like:
- This Sweet Mustard Broccoli Salad is a another great veggie side!
- Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce goes perfectly with this recipe.
- This Coconut Cauliflower Rice is a great twist on cauli-rice.
- Looking for a complete meal? You will LOVE this Low Carb Caulflower Fried Rice! It is a one pot meal that comes together in less than 20 minutes.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Food Processor
- Large Saute Pan
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a food processor and process until “riced”.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add cauliflower and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, garlic, onion powder, cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, until tender.
- Uncover. Toss with lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.