Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a fast and easy veggie side that people go crazy for! You will be surprised at how well it tips its hat to classic Spanish Rice, but without the carbs. A drizzle of lime juice and a sprinkling of cilantro at the end completes this simple dish with an extra pop of flavor. It is just the right match for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or grilled chicken.
I thought I couldn't live without things like rice while watching my carbs, but it turns out there is an easy substitution.
This Cauliflower Spanish Rice is such a great alternative.
It is no surprise; this recipe has become a year-round staple in my side dish repertoire - it is perfect for any time I am serving Southwestern or Mexican food.
When you can serve a dish that is low carb, keto, dairy-free, and gluten-free that the whole family loves, I call that winning!
If you are looking to limit carbs, on weight watchers, or are just trying to lower your calories, this keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe is one you will want to try!
Ingredients for Making Keto Spanish Rice
- Cauliflower: I typically use a whole cauliflower and pulse it in my food processor to make "rice," but if you want to buy pre-riced cauliflower, you can.
- Oil: Olive oil or avocado oil works well here.
- Tomato Sauce: If you have any leftover, freeze it for next time.
- Broth: I find that making my own saves money and yields the best flavor, but you can purchase broth if you need to.
- Garlic: I like fresh minced garlic, but garlic powder may be used in its place.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper give Spanish-inspired flavors.
- Lime Juice: Finishing with lime juice brightens the dish.
- Fresh Cilantro: This gives a final pop of flavor.
Variations for Spanish Style Cauliflower Rice
- Add ½ diced onion to the skillet.
- Add ½ cup thawed frozen baby peas when you add the seasonings. Omit the cilantro and garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Use broccoli instead of cauliflower for Broccoli rice.
- For added flavor in your Mexican cauliflower rice, you can add in 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
- Make Spanish Yellow Cauliflower Rice by adding ½ teaspoon ground turmeric and a pinch of saffron.
Short on Time?
It is easy to find already riced cauliflower at most grocery stores. You will find it in the produce section most often.
You can even find frozen rice to make cauliflower recipes even easier to throw together.
- If you find that your cauliflower rice is sticking to the pan, you can fix this by adding a little more oil or liquid to the pan.
- Frozen Riced Cauliflower tends to have a bit more liquid. Make sure you give it time to cook off!
- Spanish rice with cauliflower rice works well as a side dish for tacos, enchiladas, or burritos.
- It is fabulous with Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
- Serve with Chicken with Avocado Sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Trader Joe’s was one of the first to come out with it. Now, there are numerous brands available including Green Giant and Birds Eye. I have even seen several grocery stores with store brands. Look for it in the freezer section and the produce section.
The best way to cook it is to saute in a little oil for five minutes. Add liquid to the pan and cover. Cook for another five to ten minutes.
It will keep in the fridge for up to five days loosely wrapped in plastic or a vegetable bag. It is best stored whole, because the florets begin to loose moisture when they are cut
Cauliflower should be pale white. Yellow or brown spots should be avoided, but minor ones can easily be trimmed off. Look for a head that has bright pale green leaves that are formed tightly around the base.
Tools Needed to Make This Spanish Cauliflower Rice Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
- Food Processor (I ADORE this food processor. I have had many and this is the best. You may also use a hand grater.)
- Large Skillet
Spanish rice using cauliflower can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
More Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- This Coconut Cauliflower Rice is an excellent twist on cauli-rice.
- Looking for a complete meal? You will LOVE this Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice! It is a one-pot meal that comes together in less than 20 minutes.
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is a delicious side you will turn to again and again.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Food Processor
- Large Saute Pan
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a food processor and process until “riced”.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add cauliflower and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, garlic, onion powder, cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, until tender.
- Uncover. Toss with lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.