This Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe is a lightened up take on a comforting classic that still tasted decadent. It is the perfect way to incorporate fresh produce into a one-dish meal that your family is going to love. I’ve used gluten-free noodles, but whole grain or conventional pasta will work perfectly if your family doesn’t avoid gluten. This easy and delicious dinner is one you will make time and again.
- 1 Easy Vegetable Lasagna Backstory
- 2 How to Make Easy Vegetable Lasagna
- 3 Variations for Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna:
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 Tools for Making Easy Vegetable Lasagna:
- 6 Serving Suggestions:
- 7 Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
- 8 If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Easy Vegetable Lasagna Backstory
There is a lot to love about this time of year in Florida! One of my favorite things is hitting the farmer’s markets.
It is finally cool enough to enjoy it, and there is still a lot of produce available in the winter.
My kids are pretty good and will let me drag them around without complaint. (The boys are great about carrying my finds.)
Maybe it is because they know that I get excited when my refrigerator is packed with freshness in the same way some girls get excited by new clothes.
(Or, maybe it is the homemade goodies stand I always let them pick a treat from. Yeah, probably the sweets.)
To me, there is nothing better than creating a delicious family meal with fresh veggies. The perfect example is this Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe.
I started sneaking vegetables into lasagna when the boys were little. At first, they resisted the “green stuff”, but over time that just accepted it. It was my secret weapon for getting them to at least get SOME vegetables into their diet.
Now, it is just the way I make lasagna!
Today I’ve used spinach and zucchini, but eggplant and summer squash would also be great. Combined with fresh gluten free lasagna noodles, I’ve got a meal that is satisfying and delicious. (Obviously if you aren’t gluten free you can substitute regular lasagna noodles!)
While lasagna can sound like a meal that would take a lot of time, this dish came together in a flash. I used Slow Cooker Marinara that I had in the fridge, but you could use jarred pasta sauce just as easily!
This is the kind of recipe I love to get the kids involved in preparing!
How to Make Easy Vegetable Lasagna
1. Cook your vegetables. If you do not wish to cook the zucchini, you can salt it well and let it drain on paper towels. Blot at proceed. (You do need to cook the spinach.)
2. Combine ricotta, Parmesan, egg, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper and cooked spinach.
3. Spray a casserole dish and spread 1/2 cup marinara on the bottom.
4. Top with a layer of noodles, a layer of zucchini,1/2 of the ricotta mixture and mozzarella.
5. Repeat layers.
6. End with a layer of noodles, marinara, and remaining mozzarella.
7. Bake for 30 minutes.
8. Allow to cool for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Variations for Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna:
- Use Eggplant or Summer Squash in place of the zucchini.
- Use a Creamy Tomato Sauce in place of traditional pasta sauce.
- Omit the noodles all together and make Zucchini Lasagna.
What is your favorite way to incorporate farm fresh ingredients into your meals?
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Vegetables Are Good In Lasagna?
There are so many vegetables that work in lasagna. You can saute red pepper, onions and mushrooms and add any of them to your lasagna. Zucchini, spinach, squash and eggplant are other great options.
Do I Have to Cook Spinach Before Putting it in Lasagna?
Yes, you need to cook spinach before you put it in your lasagna. The reason is that spinach gives off a lot of liquid when it is cooked and if you do not pre-cook it before putting it into your lasagna it will be very watery.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools for Making Easy Vegetable Lasagna:
If you make this easy vegetarian lasagna recipe let me know how it goes!
Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
You won't believe how quickly this Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe comes together! Packed with veggies, this easy vegetarian lasagna recipe is a staple recipe your family will beg you to make time and again! Gluten Free.
- 1 pound zucchini trimmed and sliced thin lengthwise
- 9 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces parmesan
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 ounces marinara
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella
- 12 ounces gluten free lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and spray with oil. Season zucchini strips with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. (The cooking time will vary according to how thinly you slice your zucchini.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray the pan again and add the spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts. Transfer to a plate lined with a clean towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan, egg, garlic, basil, parsley and crushed red pepper. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.
Coat a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray and spread 1/2 cup of the Marinara on the bottom. Top with a layer of noodles, a layer of zucchini, 1/2 of the ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Spread 1/3 of the remaining marinara and repeat the layers. End with a layer of noodles, marinara and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Make It Vegan:
Use vegan ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Most pasta is vegan but double check!
Make it Keto / Low Carb:
Make sure all of your cheeses are full fat. Marinara should be sugar-free. Omit the lasagna noodles and use zucchini in place of it. To do this, use a mandolin, food processor, or very sharp knife to cut zucchini into ribbons. Bake the ribbons in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes, and then transfer to paper towels to absorb any extra moisture. Use the prepared zucchini ribbions
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like: