If you like recipes that are quick to prepare and flavor-packed, you will fall in love with this Gluten-Free Vegetarian Lasagna! It is the perfect way to incorporate fresh produce into a cheesy one-dish meal that your family is going to beg you to make time and again. This is one of my favorite gluten-free dinners, and I think you will love it too!
If you love cheesy recipes loaded with veggies, you will go wild for this meatless lasagna. It is pure comfort food and one of the best ways that I have found to sneak vegetables into the kid's diet.
I use Slow Cooker Marinara that I make ahead and keep in the freezer, but you could use jarred pasta sauce just as easily!
Combined with fresh gluten-free lasagna noodles, I've got a meal that is satisfying and delicious. (If you aren't gluten-free, you can substitute regular lasagna noodles!)
This gluten free lasagna recipe is one my family loved from the first bite!
Ingredients for Making Vegetarian Lasagna
- Zucchini: A mandoline or vegetable peeler makes easy work of slicing the zucchini thin.
- Spinach: I used fresh chopped spinach because that is what I had on hand. If you like frozen spinach works as well.
- Ricotta Cheese: You can use full-fat, part-skim, or vegan ricotta for a dairy-free option. Cottage cheese could also be used.
- Parmesan Cheese: Fresh grated is best. I don't recommend using the kind in the can. It lacks flavor and is loaded with preservatives. Make sure you are using rennet-free parmesan to keep this recipe vegetarian.
- Garlic: I prefer fresh minced garlic
- Fresh Herbs: I used a mixture of fresh herbs - basil and parsley are my favorites. If I happen to have it, oregano is also lovely in this vegetable lasagna recipe.
- Crushed Red Pepper: Red pepper flakes provide a subtle kick of heat. Feel free to leave it off if you are sensitive to heat.
- Marinara Sauce: I like to use homemade. If you are looking for a sugar-free marinara, this one is amazing.
- Mozzarella: I typically use part-skim mozzarella. If you have it, fresh mozzarella is nice on top.
- Lasagna Noodles: I use gluten-free frozen lasagna noodles because they are superior in taste. (I also love that you don't have to take the time to boil noodles.) If you use dried pasta, make sure you cook the noodles in salted water with a little olive oil before adding them to the lasagna. You can also use regular or no boil lasagna noodles to make this.
- Use Eggplant or Summer Squash in place of the zucchini. Carrot and bell pepper can also be added.
- Use a Creamy Tomato Sauce in place of traditional pasta sauce.
- Want to add some meat? You could easily add browned ground beef (or plant based crumbles) to the marinara before adding it to the veggie lasagna.
Make it Vegan
Vegan? Use vegan ricotta and Daiya shreds. Omit the egg. (No need to substitute anything in its place.).
If you don't want to make ricotta, Kite Hill has some fabulous options.
Make it Keto/ Low Carb
Make sure all of your cheeses are full fat, and the marinara is sugar-free. This Keto Marinara is fabulous. Omit the lasagna noodles and use zucchini in place of it.
To do this, use a mandolin, food processor, or very sharp knife to cut zucchini into ribbons.
Bake the ribbons in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes, and then transfer to paper towels to absorb extra moisture. Use the prepared zucchini ribbons in place of the lasagna.
Making Ahead and Freezing
You can make this recipe up to one day ahead of time and cook it when you are ready to serve. Leftovers will keep for about three days.
You can freeze this recipe, but if you do, I recommend leaving the zucchini off. It just doesn't freeze well.
- Rosemary Focaccia
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Simple Garden Salad
Frequently Asked Questions
What Vegetables are Good In Lasagna?
There are so many vegetables that work! You can saute red pepper, onions, and mushrooms and add any of them to your lasagna.
Zucchini, spinach, squash, and eggplant are other great options.
Do I Have to Cook Spinach Before Putting it in Lasagna?
Yes, you need to cook spinach before you put it in your lasagna.
When you cook spinach, it releases a tremendous amount of liquid. Putting raw spinach into a casserole will make it watery.
How Do I Keep Vegetables from Making Lasagna Watery?
The key is to make sure that you cook them before adding them to the lasagna! I recommend cooking all vegetables first.
Can I Use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles?
Absolutely! They are a great option when you want to save time.
Step By Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card below.
Cook Your Vegetables If you do not wish to cook the zucchini, you can salt it well and let it drain on paper towels. Blot well. (You do need to cook the spinach.)
Make The Cheese and Spinach Mixture Combine ricotta, Parmesan, egg, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and cooked spinach.
Spray the Baking Dish Dish Place ½ cup marinara on the bottom.
Layer Top with a layer of noodles, a layer of zucchini,½ of the cheese mixture, and mozzarella.
Repeat Layers Top with a layer of noodles, a layer of zucchini,½ of the ricotta mixture, and mozzarella.
Bake and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from Qualifying Sales.
Leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can freeze leftovers for up to three months. To reheat, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven until heated through.
You May Also Like
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole is a delicious vegetarian casserole recipe that is always a hit! Serve it as a main course or hearty side. (Perfect for the holidays!)
- Quinoa Mac and Cheese is one that both children and adults enjoy. A fun - and healthier - twist on a classic.
- When you are craving comfort food, this Baked Spaghetti with Ricotta is perfect!
- Veggie Mac and Cheese is rich, creamy, and oh-so satisfying!
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Lasagna
- 1 pound zucchini trimmed and sliced thin lengthwise
- 9 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces parmesan rennet free (vegetarian)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 ounces marinara
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella
- 12 ounces gluten free lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and spray with oil. Season zucchini strips with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. (The cooking time will vary according to how thinly you slice your zucchini.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray the pan again and add the spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts. Transfer to a plate lined with a clean towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan, egg, garlic, basil, parsley and crushed red pepper. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray and spread ½ cup of the Marinara on the bottom.
- Top with a layer of noodles, a layer of zucchini, ½ of the ricotta mixture and mozzarella.
- Spread ⅓ of the remaining marinara and repeat the layers.
- End with a layer of noodles, marinara and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes prior to serving.
This is so great... I always put spinach in my lasagna, but I really want to try layering in the zucchini next time. What a great way to get extra veggies into a meal. This looks so good! #client
This looks SO delicious! I have zucchini and a slicer, what am I waiting for! I need to try this!
it is really good.
Oh my how wonderful thsi is. I am always looking fro ways to have filling meals without the meat. this one is definitly going to be eaten.
I love a good veggie lasagna! This one looks amazing- can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing!
This looks SO good! I just bought that Farmer's Market sauce last week and now I know how I'll be using it. 🙂
I didn't think I would like this, but whoa, your photos are seriously making me hungry right now!
I LOVE the idea of zucchini is lasagna! Sneaking in extra veggies is always on my to-do list!
This sounds absolutely amazing! I love veggie lasagna! I am going to try this out next weekend!
This looks amazing!! My kids love Lasagna this would be a great way to get them to eat some more veggies as well!
That looks so good. I have never tried veggie lasagna before. How delicious! Amber N
I've never heard of Prego Farmer's Market sauce, but now I'm going to have to try it and this delicious lasagna recipe.
Cassandra B. @PoweredbyBLING
I'm a total Prego girl, but I have not seen these Farmer's Market sauces in my grocery yet. I'm so on the hunt for them this weekend. This veggie lasagna is beautiful.
I love love veggie lasagna! I think I even have gluten free lasagna noodles in the pantry so I can make it this weekend.
This looks delish Wendy! So easy to convert to a vegan recipe as well:) Those sauces look yummy! Prego is my favorite spaghetti sauce on the store shelves <3
I love veggie lasagna! I really have to give it a try and turn that AC way up!
Ana De Jesus
I love a good veggie lasgna and the presentation of yours is breathtaking. I love the idea of adding squash.
I will have to look into that sauce at Walmart. I am a Ragu type of person but love trying different types. My husband is a vegetarian so I love making veggie lasagna.
Can this be made the day before and then baked? Not sure how the zucchini would hold up.
Yes, it can! The photo was actually done that way.
Can i make this and refrigerate a day in advance of baking it?
Wendy, thank you for this amazing lasagna! Very yammy, took it in my recipes book)
This is delicious!!! My family likes spinach and zucchini but if your family doesn't you can hardly tell its there. It just tastes like yummy cheese lasagna. Very good!
I am so glad you enjoyed it!
Hi. Can this be made with gluten free oven ready lasagne noodles? Appreciate your reply.
I've never tried them but there is no reason why it wouldn't work!
Are you able to make this recipe and then freeze it for a later time?
Yes, absolutely. Lasagna freezes great.
Can the egg be left out? Or a substitute due to allergies.
You could leave it out!
Thank you for sharing the recipe, I was just looking for how to do it at home!
Several months ago my daughter made a lifestyle change for health reasons and is now eating vegetarian. Lucky for me I live right next door to her and most nights she brings me a sampling of her latest vegetarian dinner. I have to say this meal the vegetarian lasagna was amazing. I would absolutely give it a thumbs up rating.
So glad that you enjoyed it!
Worried about it being watery with zucchini, how can you prevent this. Is it better next day?
Do you have to put an egg in the ricotta mixture?
No, you could leave it out if you don't like/have eggs. (Or have an allergy.)
This was seriously the best lasagna I have ever had and I will be making it for years! I added mushrooms and used cream cheese since I couldn't get any ricotta. It was super creamy and worked really well. Thank you so much for the delicious recipe!
I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I have never tried cream cheese in lasagna and now think I need to!
This was fantastic! My 1 year old ate a full portion! I left out some of the red pepper so it wouldn’t be too spicy for him and didn’t cook the zucchini because I wanted it a bit firm but did blot it like the recipe stated. It was still a little watery even after cooking the spinach and ringing it out. Any ideas on how to make it less watery for next time?? Such a great recipe. Thank you!
The purpose of cooking the zucchini is to draw the water out so it isn't in the casserole. You could also salt it and let it sit on paper towels for 30 minutes or so.
This was delicious!!! I will definitely make this again! Only thing I did differently was to add a layer of fresh basil leaves to each of the first and second layers. This is my go to lasagna recipe from now on!
So glad you enjoyed it! I love adding basil when I have it - and right now my plants are huge.
I found your recipe while searching for a gluten free dinner. My son's father in law is newly gluten intolerant and he has having dinner with us. He said not to worry, or go to any trouble -- he'd just munch on something! But I was determined to make something that he'd enjoy without worry.
I was able to find ALL gluten free ingredients. He loved it!
I wanted to make it hardy so I added red pepper and mushrooms.
This was delicious & super easy!
Thanks so much - I'll definitely be making this again!
I am so glad that you all enjoyed it! I love the addition of red pepper and mushrooms.
Do the noodles have to be cooked before? Or can you put raw noodles in then bake it?
I cook them before I put them in the casserole. I haven't tried it with raw noodles.
I use raw noodles but I add extra sauce to the bottom, top, and middle. It works well and saves time and a pot. Lovely recipe. Thank you!
Is this good for making ahead & freezing? Trying to plan postpartum freezer meals! I made this last night & it is amazing!!!
First, congrats on the baby! It is definitely good for freezing, but zucchini doesn't freeze well so I would probably leave that out.
Can you can this and reheat next day in oven?
Yes - the photo was actually taken the day after I made it.
This was SO good!!!! Thank you!!!!! Would not change anything about it… it was perfect!!!
I am so glad that you enjoyed it.
Just put it together with the gluten free no-boil oven ready noodles, the barilla brand. I can't wait to see how this comes out! Followed the recipe exactly... Its only 3 pm so Im going to let it hang out for about an hour before I bake it. To be continued.... 🙂
Great flavor; LACK OF INSTRUCTION AND FALSE TIMING. For a beginner, it took over an hour to prep which is ridiculous to say 20 mins. To slice Zucchini the lengthy was not easy with lack of materials or a sharp knife which I had. DEFINITELY NOT A MEDIUM SAUCE PAN, especially when putting 9 oz of fresh spinach. DOES NOT TELL YOU TO BOIL THE PASTA. I googled it as well before continuing and didn't say you necessarily needed to. In passed because of the extending time I did prepare to spend as well HARD PASTA.. NOT HAPPY WITH LACK OF INSTRUCTION!
So sorry you struggled with this recipe.
Since you are a novice, my best advice would be to read a recipe carefully before you attempt to make it. The total time clearly states 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cook time is 1 hour - which includes 30 minutes to cook the vegetables and pasta and the 30 minutes of baking time.
In no place does the recipe mention a medium saucepan. It calls for a skillet over medium heat.
The recipe calls for 12 ounces of gluten-free lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions - I am not sure how I could be any more clear that you should cook the noodles. I don't include time because they can vary wildly by brand since there are so many different types of gluten-free pasta.
So good! I added Yves veggie ground with the marinara but overall it was amazing.
I am so glad that you enjoyed it!
Thank you for sharing this recipe...looks amazing and looking forward to making for holiday dinner. One question...have you tried to freeze leftovers? Wondering if the zucchini watered up or if you have any tips for being able to freeze 🙂
I would leave the zucchini off if you plan to freeze. I have yet to find a method of freezing zucchini that wasn't disappointing.
Would this work with spinach and slices of tomatoes for vegetables?
I haven't tried it, but it sounds amazing!
Fabulous Gluten-Free Vegetarian Lasagna! I couldn't find gluten-free lasagna noodles, so I used fresh gluten-free fettucine noodles. I also cut the recipe in half, and it worked great! So many compliments!
Looks delicious! I can't wait to make this. Do you have any recommendations on how best to incorporate other veggies like eggplant?
I made this lasagna for Christmas and it was amazing. My company said it was the best lasagna she has ever had. I added 2 layers of sautéed mushrooms and red peppers as well as the zucchini and spinach. It is added to my list of recipes. Great recipe.
I am so glad that you enjoyed it!
I love love love this recipe. It’s in my regular rotation. But prep time says 20 min and it takes me about an hour! But still worth it. So yummy.
This is incredibly delicious and
the most flavorful lasagne I have ever made. My family loved it.
Thank you for this amazing recipe!
I am so glad that you enjoyed it!