Ham and Cheese Salad makes a welcome change to your dinner routine. A sweet dijon balsamic dressing plays perfectly with ham steak, cheddar cheese, and tomatoes. No-cook meals like this are perfect for summer!
After months of eating at home, I am looking for easy ways to mix up our family meal plan.
Recipes like this Ham and Cheese Salad are perfection!
In less than 15 minutes, I can have dinner on the table. Plus, it doesn't require turning on the oven, which is a bonus if it is as hot where you are as it is here.
In fact, you don’t have to cook at all! I used Hillshire Farm® Uncured Ham Steak, which is available at Walmart Grocery. (And I was able to order it online and pick it up without getting out of my car.)
With 15 grams of protein per serving, this extra lean ham is an excellent source of protein. I love that the pork is raised in the U.S.A with no added hormones.
This delicious salad is perfect for those nights where you need to get dinner on the table in a flash!
You Will Need
- If you are in the mood for a creamy salad dressing, ranch goes nicely here too.
- Add ¼ cup diced red onion and 2 chopped celery stalks for added texture.
- For added protein, add 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped.
- Make this keto by using a keto-friendly sweetener in the dressing and choosing a balsamic vinegar that doesn’t have added sugars.
- If you would like an extra kick of spice, add ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper to the dressing or sprinkle the salad with a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Can This Salad Be Made Ahead?
Yes! This salad can be made ahead and is perfect for meal-prep. Keep the salad un-tossed in the refrigerator for up to three days. You may keep the dressing in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Ham and Cheese Salad
- 16 ounces Hillshire Farm Uncured Ham Steak cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 12 ounces chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup oil I used extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sweetener of choice I used powdered erythritol
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the ham, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes.
- In a blender combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sweetener, Dijon mustard, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper and process until emulsified.
- Toss the salad with the desired amount of dressing and serve immediately.