This Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Parfait recipe is perfect for breakfast and healthy snacks. With Greek yogurt, apples, and a delicious crunchy topping, this is one you are going to love.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting discouraged with this whole knee thing. At this point, I'm pretty sure that Skye is going to be walking before I am.
You know the worst part about not being mobile? Not leaving the house for the last three weeks. Throw in a 2 month old (even a very good 2 month old who slept from 8pm to 5am last night - Go Skye!) and you've got a recipe for stir crazy.
Hubby suggested I get a scooter-roo (his word,not mine) to which I said he should most definitely sleep with one eye open. Or possibly consider hiring a bodyguard while he slept. (I've never actually seen someone under the age of 70 in one of those things.)
Lucky for him it is Father's day weekend and I have a guilty conscious about all he has had to do for me in the last few weeks - and how hard I've been on him about his cooking. Seriously, the man thinks it takes a half stick of butter to cook anything. Can someone please tell him that my sun-dried tomato and spinach quesadilla does not need to be cooked in butter and certainly not deep fried in butter?
Because I told him but apparently we weren't communicating. He smiled and said he understood when what he really meant was that he heard me but he was going to keep doing things his way. I know this because the next day the boys informed me that Dad's hot dogs were better than mine because they tasted so buttery. (And no, my boys don't eat hot dogs often under normal circumstances....) My knee must heal quickly or we are all going to have high cholesterol and heart disease!
Must focus on feeling grateful that he is keeping everyone fed....must focus on...
While I'm busy driving the family crazy, how about we share a parfait?
These little parfaits from Christi at Mom What's for Dinner are the perfect way to start your day! They also work great as a healthy dessert alternative or snack. They curb your sweet tooth without all the calories and fat. If you are looking for something sweet that is full of protein and actually good for you, then this is the recipe for you!
Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Parfait
- For Oat Crumble:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- For Cinnamon Apples:
- 4 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup water or more if necessary
- For Yogurt:
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- Start by making the apples. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Partially cover and cook until apples are softened and liquid is syrupy, about 10 minutes. Add more water if needed in the cooking process. Take off heat and let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the Oats:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Evenly spread on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For Quinoa:
- Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, add 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Put it together
- Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt in bottom of glass.
- Spoon 1/4 cup quinoa on top of the yogurt.
- Spoon 1/4 cup cinnamon apples on top of the quinoa.
- Repeat the layering and top with oat crumble. Repeat with remaining glasses.
Recipe from Mom Whats for Dinner. Connect with her here: