Crockpot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is your ticket to comfort any time of the day! The texture is perfectly creamy and cheesy, with tender potatoes and crispy edges. What's more, this homemade delight requires less than 15 minutes of prep time. So, whether it's a family dinner or a gathering with friends, this easy-to-make side dish is sure to impress!
If you're looking for an easy and delicious dish, this crockpot hash brown casserole is the perfect recipe!
It's a family-friendly dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or as a comforting dinner side dish.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Butter: Butter can be substituted with an equal amount of margarine or oil.
- Onion: To switch things up, try using shallots or leeks instead.
- Flour: The flour is used as a thickener for the sauce. If you need to make the recipe gluten-free, use cornstarch or arrowroot powder instead. Gluten-free flour would also work.
- Broth: You can use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth, depending on your preference.
- Sour cream: Greek yogurt or cream cheese can be used as a substitution. You could also use cream of chicken soup in its place.
- Garlic Powder: For a stronger garlic flavor, use fresh minced garlic instead.
- Salt: I used sea salt, but feel free to use kosher salt or table salt.
- Black pepper: Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking.
- Frozen Hash Browns: This recipe would also work with frozen diced potatoes. The total time for cooking should be about the same.
- Cheese: You can use any type of shredded cheese in this crockpot hashbrown casserole. I like cheddar, but other great options are mozzarella, gruyere, gouda, Monterey Jack, or a blend of cheeses.
Step by Step Instructions
For the full hash brown casserole crock pot recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
Tips and Tricks
- Want to make cleanup for this hash brown casserole in a crockpot a breeze? Use a slow cooker liner!
- Add cooked breakfast sausage, ham, or bacon for an extra protein boost.
- If you prefer a crispier texture, transfer the casserole to a baking dish and broil for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy. Top with crumbled potato chips or breadcrumbs if you like.
- Customize this hash brown casserole crockpot recipe by adding your favorite vegetables, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini.
- Make sure to stir the casserole halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking and distribution of the sauce.
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply microwave or bake in the oven until heated through.
The casserole can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Slow Cooker Sides to Try
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes: Creamy, buttery, and oh-so-easy to make, these mashed potatoes will be the star of your next holiday dinner.
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes: Made with frozen hash browns and plenty of cheddar cheese, this comforting dish is perfect for everything from potlucks to Christmas dinner.
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes: Tender layers of thinly sliced potatoes smothered in a creamy sauce and baked to perfection in a slow cooker – need I say more?
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese: A classic comfort food made even better by cooking it in a crockpot! Creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-satisfying, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Crockpot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (without Soup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups broth
- 24 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 26 ounces frozen hash browns
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir.
- Add the broth slowly, whisking to dissolve the flour. Once all the broth is added, cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is thickened slightly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the hash browns in the bottom of your slow cooker. Toss with the sauce and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in the remaining cheese, and cook for another 10 minutes.