Who doesn't love grilled cheese? It's the perfect comfort food. But what happens when you add guacamole and bacon to it? You get an even better comfort food! This Guacamole Grilled Cheese takes grilled cheese to a whole new level by adding a delicious and creamy avocado spread that will make your taste buds happy.
Grilled cheese is the perfect comfort food. It's easy to make, and it's always a hit with everyone.
When you want to take flavors to the next level, try adding bacon and guacamole to your grilled cheese.
This delicious sandwich is one you will crave again and again.
Ingredients for Making Guacamole Grilled Cheese
- Avocados: Choose avocados that are ripe, but not too soft. You want them to be easy to mash, but still hold their shape.
- Lime juice: This will help to keep your guacamole from turning brown.
- Salt: A little salt goes a long way in bringing out the flavors of the avocado.
- Onion: You can use any type of onion you like, but we prefer red onion in our guacamole.
- Jalapeno: If you want a little spice, leave the seeds in. If you prefer a milder flavor, remove the seeds.
- Cilantro: This is a personal preference. Some people love cilantro, while others think it tastes like soap. If you're not a fan, you can leave it out.
- Tomato: We prefer roma tomatoes in our guacamole, but you can use any type of tomato you like. Just make sure to seed it so that your guacamole isn't watery.
- Garlic: A little garlic goes a long way. We like to use fresh garlic, but you can also use jarred minced garlic.
- Cheese: We used cheddar cheese in our grilled cheese, but you can use any type of cheese you like.
- Bacon: We used turkey bacon in our grilled cheese, but you can use any type of bacon you like.
- Bread: We used gluten free bread in our grilled cheese, but you can use any type of bread you like.
- Butter: You'll need a little bit of butter to cook your grilled cheese.
Tips and Tricks for Making Grilled Cheese
- Choose the right bread: The bread is the foundation of your grilled cheese, so choose wisely. We like to use hearty bread like sourdough or wheat for those that aren't gluten-free, but you can use any type of bread you like. Just make sure it's fresh so that it doesn't fall apart when you're cooking it.
- Use real butter: This may seem like a no-brainer, but using real butter is key to getting a perfect grilled cheese. Butter gives the bread a nice golden color and helps to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Choose the right cheese: Cheese is the star of the show in grilled cheese, so choose a good quality cheese that you know you'll like. We like to use cheddar cheese, but you can use any type of cheese you like. Just make sure it's fresh and that it melts well.
- Don't overdo it on the fillings: You want to be able to taste the cheese in your grilled cheese, so don't go overboard.
How to Make Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese
First, start by making your guacamole. In a medium bowl, combine avocados, lime juice, salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, tomato, and garlic.
Stir until well combined. If making a few hours ahead, place plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole to prevent browning.
Now it's time to make your grilled cheese. Lay four slices of bread on a cutting board and top with cheese and bacon.
Spread the other four slices with a thick layer of guacamole and place face down on the other slices of bread to make four sandwiches.
Heat a skillet to medium-low heat. Melt butter and add sandwiches. Cook until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted and mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ fresh jalapeno seeded and diced fine
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 roma tomato seeded and diced
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces cheese
- 16 slices beef or turkey bacon cooked
- 16 slices gluten free bread
- Butter for cooking
- In a medium bowl, combine avocados, lime juice, sea salt, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, tomato and garlic. Stir until well combined. If making a few hours ahead, place plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole to prevent browning.
- Lay four slices of bread on a cutting board and top with cheese and bacon. Spread the other four slices with a thick layer of guacamole and place face down on the other slices of bread to make four sandwiches.
- Heat a skillet to medium-low heat. Melt butter and add sandwiches. Cook until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Oh my goodness -- talk about MAJOR YUM! My husband would absolutely love this! I'm thinking it would also be good slathered on a BLT this summer 🙂
Mmmm, you had me at bacon! This sounds absolutely divine. I cannot wait to make one of these for myself.
I love a good grilled cheese, but they can get so boring. This looks amazing and 'spices it up'!
This is my absolute favorite way to make grilled cheese! The combination of flavors is absolutely amazing!
I so want to try this recipe. Guacamole sandwich for summer vibe..love it! The constrast of the green guacamole and the yellow cheese is so eye appealing.
Maria - Tough Cookie Mommy
I've always loved grilled cheese sandwiches but this one is certainly a delectable spin on it. It must have some amazing flavor combinations.
That looks really really tasty. I am going to try this one at home! Amber N
OkI admit it you had me at bacon. This is so delicious looking and what an awesome twist on a grill sandwich.
Teresa Laura | MCBL
This looks so unbelievably delicious! I happen to love both bacon and guacamole so this is right up my alley. Definitely a recipe I will be trying ASAP.
This was simply amazing!