Get ready to sink your teeth into a mouthwatering Roast Beef Panini packed with flavor and grilled to perfection. In just a few minutes, you can whip up this satisfying sandwich that combines tender roast beef, sautéed mushrooms, and a zesty cream cheese spread. We'll use our trusty panini press to achieve that delectable golden crunch on the outside while keeping the inside warm and gooey. This recipe is sure to become a favorite for both lunchtime cravings and family gatherings.
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with a flavorful creation that will take your sandwich game to a whole new level.
In today's recipe, we're diving into the world of paninis and bringing you a mouthwatering twist on a classic favorite: the Roast Beef Panini!
Trust me, once you try this Roast Beef Panini, it will become an instant family favorite!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the base of our flavorful spread, providing a creamy and tangy element to the sandwich.
- Butter: You can omit this and just use cream cheese if you like. Alternatively, you can use mayonnaise in its place.
- Horseradish: Make sure to use prepared horseradish and not horseradish spread.
- Brown Mustard: Dijon mustard works just fine if you don’t have brown mustard.
- Chopped Chives: Chives contribute a fresh and mild onion-like flavor, enhancing the overall taste of the spread. You can use a teaspoon of dried chives if you don’t have fresh.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the amount to your liking.
- Sliced Mushrooms: The sliced mushrooms provide a meaty and earthy taste to the sandwich, adding a savory umami flavor.
- Hearty Bread: Choose a sturdy bread that can hold up well to the other ingredients and withstand grilling or toasting. Options like ciabatta or sourdough work great.
- Olive Oil: Brushing the bread with olive oil helps to achieve a crispy and golden crust when toasted.
- Roast Beef: Tender and thinly sliced roast beef is the star protein in this sandwich. You can use deli roast beef or leftover homemade roast beef (like from this sirloin tip roast).
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
In small bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, horseradish, Dijon mustard, and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Grab a medium skillet and set it to medium-high heat. Give it a quick spritz of cooking spray to prevent any sticking. Add those lovely mushrooms, season them with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes.
Take each piece and brush one side with olive oil. This will give our panini that irresistible golden crust. On the other side of the bread, spread a generous amount of the horseradish cream cheese mixture we prepared earlier.
Take four slices of bread and start layering them with roast beef and sautéed mushrooms. Top it off with the remaining bread slices, making sure the cream cheese side is facing down.
Now, carefully place your sandwich in the preheated panini press and let it work its magic. Cook it for around 3 to 5 minutes or until it turns a glorious golden brown.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose the right bread: Opt for sturdy bread that can hold up to the filling and the heat of the panini press. Ciabatta, sourdough, or a crusty baguette are all excellent choices that will give your panini a satisfying crunch.
- Slice the roast beef thinly: It's important to slice it thinly to ensure even heating and easy biting. Thin slices will also allow the flavors of the beef and mushrooms to shine through in each bite.
- Sauté the mushrooms separately: To maximize the flavor of the mushrooms, sauté them separately before adding them to the panini. This helps develop their natural earthiness and prevents them from becoming too watery while the panini cooks.
- Brush the bread with oil or butter: To achieve that golden, crispy exterior, brush the outer sides of the bread with olive oil or melted butter. This helps create a delicious crust when pressed in the panini press or grilled.
What cut of meat do you use for roast beef sandwiches?
For this particular recipe, I used Sirloin Tip Roast Beef. It's a budget-friendly cut of meat which is great when sliced thin or shredded.
Of course, if you happen to have leftover holiday roast, like reverse sear prime rib, that is lovely too!
Other cuts of meat that are commonly used to make roast beef include ribeye, rump roast, top round, and bottom round.
How do you make a panini without a press?
To make this roast beef panini recipe without using a press, use a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Place the sandwich in the skillet and weigh it down with another heavy skillet or pot; this will help to create the crispy, golden crust. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the bread is golden and crisp. You can also use a griddle or grill to make paninis without using a press.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
More Sandwich Recipes to Try
- Caprese Chicken Panini: Imagine biting into a warm, crispy panini filled with juicy grilled chicken, ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fragrant basil - a taste of Italy right at your fingertips.
- Turkey Avocado Panini: This is a turkey sandwich like you've never experienced before. Layer succulent slices of roasted turkey, creamy avocado spread, and red onion between two perfectly toasted slices of bread for a flavor explosion in every bite.
- Brie Apple Sandwich: Indulge in the delicious combination of creamy brie cheese and sweet-tart apple slices together in a delicious sandwich . It's a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave you craving more.
- Slow Cooker French Dip: Picture tender, slow-cooked roast beef piled high on a crusty baguette and served with a side of rich au jus for dipping. This classic French Dip sandwich is made effortlessly in the slow cooker, resulting in melt-in-your-mouth goodness.
Roast Beef Panini with Horseradish Spread
- Panini Press
- 2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices hearty bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces roast beef deli or home cooked
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, horseradish, mustard, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir until everything is combined.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium-high heat, and spray with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms have released their juices.
- Preheat your panini press.
- Brush one side of each of the pieces of bread with olive oil and spread the cream cheese mixture on the other side.
- Layer 4 slices of the bread with the roast beef and mushrooms, and then top with the remaining bread, cream cheese side down.
- Cook in your panini press for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.