This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
This Cheesy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken & Rice is a fabulous weeknight meal that your family will beg you for over and over!
I am a big believer that dinnertime shouldn’t involve stress.
With finicky eaters, a toddler and more on my daily to-do list that I can possibility accomplish, this means I’ve become a fan of easy meals that don’t take up a lot of time.
I’ve shared with you before that one thing that keeps me sane all week long is the prep work I do on the weekend. Every Saturday or Sunday I make a meal plan, cook rice and quinoa, chop vegetables and make broth. With a few kitchen staples this means I can spend a minimal amount of time on dinner and still feed the family a delicious meal.
One of my go-to staples has always been RO*TEL. When I was a kid, my mom used it to make cheese dip. These days, I’ve learned that it can be used main dish recipes too, like today’s Cheesy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken & Rice. (You can make this dish with quinoa too!)
I have to tell you - this is one of my all time favorite slow cooker recipes. It makes more than enough for leftovers, but they will disappear quick. It is a bit spicy, so if you have heat sensitive kids feel free to skip the garlic.
I like to head to Walmart on Friday’s to avoid the weekend rush. That way I’ve got everything I need when it comes time to prep during the weekend.
When I’m making slow cooker recipes, I always start first thing in the morning, before I get distracted with the boys school.
My first step when I’m cooking is always getting everything together.
To make this recipe, the first thing you are going to do is chop your onions, poblano peppers, and garlic. I use my food processor to make quick work of this. (If you are going to do your chopping ahead of time, I recommend storing the vegetables in the refrigerator in glass jars. A drizzle of olive oil will help keep garlic fresh longer.)
Place a skillet over medium-high heat and allow it to heat up for about five minutes. While it is heating, go ahead and measure out your spices. When the skillet is warm, spray it with oil (I use avocado) and add the onions and poblano peppers. Cook them until they are tender, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the spices and add garlic. Cook for another minute.
Combine RO*TEL and broth in your slow cooker and whisk until combined. Add chicken and onion mixture. Cook on high for three hours or low for six.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and put it on a plate. Add the cheese and Greek yogurt to the slow cooker and whisk it in with the broth and RO*TEL. (It is going to seem like it has a little too much liquid in it, but this is going to get absorbed by the rice or quinoa.) Return the lid to the slow cooker to prevent too much heat being lost. Shred your chicken and add to the slow cooker, along with the rice or quinoa. Cook for another hour and then turn the heat to warm until you are ready to serve.
There you have it! A quick and easy meal that anyone can make.
What are your favorite dinnertime hacks?
For more great easy recipes make sure you check out this website!
Cheesy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken & Rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 poblano peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper less if you prefer less spice
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 20 oz RO*TEL
- 16 ounces boneless chicken
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 6 cups cooked rice or quinoa - about 2 cups uncooked
- For topping: Avocado & green onions
- Spray a medium skillet with oil and heat to medium-high. Add onion and poblano peppers and cook for 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, sea salt and black pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Whisk together broth and RO*TEL in your slow cooker. Add chicken and onion mixture. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.
- Remove chicken and add cheese and Greek yogurt to your slow cooker, whisking to combine. Return cover to slow cooker and shred chicken. Return chicken to the slow cooker and add rice or quinoa. Cook for another hour on low.
- Top with avocado and green onions and serve.