This Gluten Free Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan will have everyone thinking you spent all day in the kitchen. Perfect for easy entertaining!
One of my husband’s favorite dishes is Eggplant Parmesan, so my making a Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan was bound to happen at some point.
That he loves Eggplant Parm so much is surprising because he is a total meat guy.
Typically, I make it only four or five times a year, because…it’s a process. One that I don’t particularly enjoy.
My traditional recipe requires either baking or frying the eggplant before it goes into the casserole.
I adore my slow cooker, so a few weeks ago when he asked for it, I started thinking – would it be possible to make Eggplant Parmesan that resembled my traditional dish in my slow cooker?
Was it even possible that Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan could taste anything like the original?
I wasn’t entirely convinced it would work, but when organic eggplant went on sale, I decided to give it a try. Actually, didn’t even mention that I was trying it to hubby because I wasn’t 100% convinced that we weren’t going to be having tacos for dinner.
I am thrilled to report that it was a smashing success.
This is perfect for the occasions when you are called to entertain and need a dish that just looks and tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen.
One thing you want to keep in mind when making this is that the time it takes to cook will depend largely on how thick you cut the Eggplant. Taste it at about 6 hours and if you have cut too thick turning it up to high until it is cooked through. (And obviously, every slow cooker is slightly different, so make sure you keep an eye on it toward the end.)
If you like this Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan, you may want to check out these other slow cooker recipes!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Chipotle Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
- Spicy Slow Cooker Almonds
Recommended Tools to Make This Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan:
Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 pounds eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning make sure it is gluten free
- 4 cups marinara sauce use a low-sugar brand like Rao's
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded Daiya
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/3 inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of salt you can rinse and pat.)
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs. Layer 1/3 of the slices in the slow cooker. Top with 1 cup sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Cook on low for eight hours.