Crepes may seem a little fancy, but trust me, you’ve got this! Think of these Gluten Free Crepes as quicker cooking pancakes that work for both sweet and savory dishes. They are infinitely adaptable, perfect for when you want to impress guests, and loved by kids and adults alike!
Gluten Free Crepes are the Perfect Way to Start the Day!
How about we start today with some chocolate? We all know how important it is to start your day right.
Exercise, meditation, affirmations and…chocolate?
Stick with me here.
I’m not suggesting we have chocolate for breakfast EVERY day. But on those special days – and there are a lot of them coming up – consider these Gluten Free Crepes with Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce.
Crepes are the perfect excuse to add a little chocolate to your breakfast. (And if chocolate first thing isn’t your thing, no worries. Other than the fact that we can’t be friends. KIDDING. I’ve got other filling suggestions down below.)
Have you ever made crepes? I don’t know why making them has always intimidated me. It is very easy and not all that different from making pancakes or waffles.
Although I made these crepes gluten-free, feel free to substitute regular flour if you don’t have a family member that is gluten-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Crepes are paper-thin French-style pancakes that are typically between 6 and 12 inches in diameter. They are thin and usually have less flour than traditional pancakes.
Most crepes have all-purpose flour and therefore are not gluten free. If you are gluten free, you need to make sure that you look for a gluten free recipe, or when eating out ask your server if they have a gluten free option.
You can make these up to two days ahead of time and store unstuffed covered in the refrigerator for up to two days. They can be frozen, with wax paper between them, for up to three months. To reheat, thaw and heat in a dry skillet over low.
Sweet: whipped cream, chocolate syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, fruit preserves, maple syrup, caramel sauce.
Savory: Sausage gravy, hollandaise, Alfred sauce, fresh herbs
Tips for Making This Gluten Free Crepe Recipe:
- Don’t skip letting the batter rest!
- Brush the pan lightly with melted butter.
- To keep the creeps warm, stack them on a cookie sheet and cover. Keep them in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
Variations for this Recipe:
- Serve with a simple berry compote. Warm berries in a small pot, sweeten, and add a touch of lemon juice. Let it simmer to thicken.
- Serve with strawberries and chocolate hazelnut sauce. (As I have done.)
- Serve with peanut butter and jam.
- Serve with roasted chicken and sautéed mushrooms.
- Serve with spinach and cheese.
If you like these Gluten Free Crepes you may also like:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Waffles
- Chocolate Hazelnut Quinoa Muffins
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart with Quinoa Crust
- Dark Chocolate & Salted Caramel Frozen Muffins
Gluten Free Crepes
These Gluten Free Crepes are the perfect start to any special day! No one will know that they are gluten free. They are easier to make than you would think and so delicious.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Gluten Free Crepes
- 1/3 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 – 3 tablespoons milk to desired consistency
- strawberries for serving (or any berry)
- Combine flour, milk, eggs, honey, salt and butter in a blender. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature or cover and chill for up to two days.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush lightly with oil.
- Ladle 1/4 cup batter (for an 8 inch skillet) in the center of the pan. Tilt the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. When the edges pull away from the pan, use a spatula to lift the edges and flop. Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, until brown. Slide into plate and repeat with remaining batter, oiling the skillet only when necessary.
- Make the hazelnut topping by whisking together the chocolate hazelnut spread and milk in a small bowl. Add additional milk to desired consistency. (I kept the topping in the crepes thicker than what I drizzled on top.)
- To serve, spread hazelnut topping on crepes and fill with strawberries. Top with additional chocolate hazelnut topping and garnish with strawberries.