Looking for a way to add bold flavor to your dishes? Let me show you how to make your own homemade ranch seasoning using simple ingredients that are easy to find. The seasoning has a punchy flavor that is perfect for adding to dips and dressings or as a seasoning for roasted vegetables and meats. With just minutes of prep time, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to make your own seasoning blend.
Today, I am going to teach you how to make one of my favorite pantry staples.
This dry ranch dressing mix is perfect for keeping on hand to season everything from vegetables to chicken. I love to use it to make ranch popcorn.
By making your own dry ranch seasoning, you'll not only save money, but you'll also have complete control over the ingredients that go into it.
Feel free to adjust the salt level, add more herbs or spices, or even make it spicy by adding cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
For all the flavor of ranch seasoning without any of the unwanted ingredients, give this DIY ranch seasoning recipe a try!
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Ranch Seasoning Ingredients
- Buttermilk Powder: Buttermilk powder is a dehydrated form of buttermilk. It's made by drying out liquid buttermilk until all the moisture is removed, leaving a dry powder that can be stored for longer periods of time. It is perfect for this ranch dressing mix recipe. You can find it at larger grocery stores in the baking aisle or get it online.
- Dried Parsley Leaves: Dried herbs are a great way to add flavor to any dish as dried leaves are much more concentrated than their fresh counterparts, so you don't need as much when using them.
- Dried Chives: Chives are a mild, onion-like herb with a slightly sweet flavor. When used fresh, they have a crisp texture that adds great depth of flavor to dishes.
- Garlic Powder: Fresh garlic is great, but not when making homemade seasoning mixes. Here, we use it for its pungent flavor as well as its ability to provide depth and complexity of flavor.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder gives us that classic ranch flavor with a mild onion taste.
- Mustard Powder: Mustard powder has a spicy, tangy flavor that's great for adding depth and complexity of flavor to dishes. Here, we use mustard powder for its sharp taste and for its ability to provide balance when mixed with other flavors.
- Dried Dill: Dried dill has a subtle, herby taste that works well as part of a seasoning mix like this one.
- Sugar: Sugar helps balance all the herbs and spices in this recipe for ranch seasoning. The small amount adds just enough sweetness to keep the flavors from being too overwhelming.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt helps bring out all of the flavors in this recipe and enhances them.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Freshly ground black pepper adds a delicious hint of heat that will really bring out all the other flavors in this homemade ranch dressing mix.
Step by Step Instructions
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
First, start by combining the buttermilk powder, parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, dill, sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a medium bowl.
Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Once all the ingredients are mixed together, transfer them to an airtight jar or container. Your homemade ranch seasoning mix is now ready to use! Store it for up to one month in a cool, dry place.
Tips and Tricks
- If you don't have dried buttermilk powder, you can substitute it with regular powdered milk.
- For a spicy ranch dressing powder, add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mix.
- To make the flavors of this ranch mix recipe even more intense, toast the spices in a dry skillet over medium-low heat before adding them to the herbs and other ingredients.
- Use the homemade ranch powder as a delicious topping for popcorn or potato chips.
- Sprinkle it on roasted veggies like potatoes, carrots, and Brussels sprouts for extra flavor.
- Mix some into your favorite dip or spread to give it an extra kick.
- Add some to your scrambled eggs or omelet for a tasty breakfast.
Making Ranch Dressing and Dip
It is so easy to use this ranch powder recipe to make ranch dressing and dip.
For ranch dressing, you'll need 1 cup of mayonnaise, ½ cup of sour cream, ¼ cup of buttermilk or regular milk, and 2 tablespoons of powdered seasoning. Simply whisk together or combine in a food processor and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
For ranch dip, you can use the same basic ingredients but skip the milk.
- Storage Jars
5-Minute Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- ⅓ cup dried buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons crushed dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the buttermilk powder, parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, dill, alt, salt, black pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 1 month.