Quinoa Cakes with Chickpeas & Creamy Cucumber Sauce is a delicious and healthy meal. These kid-friendly quinoa cakes are something that the whole family will love.
This is the time of year that I struggle the most to eat healthily.
It is as if the minute temperatures dip below 90, a trigger goes off in my brain.
Must. Have. Comfort. Food.
It makes no sense whatsoever because it isn't like it is even cool here.
There is no hint of Fall unless you count the pumpkin centerpiece on my table. And the Christmas decorations that are already showing up in some stores. (Totally off topic, but that is just weird. It is October 5th. Can we at least wait until November?)
Yet, still, I crave comfort food.
Though I'm prone to indulgence, I've found the best success with staying on track is to make foods that are both comforting and healthy.
These Chickpea Quinoa Cakes with Creamy Cucumber Sauce are the perfect example. I love quinoa cakes all the time, but when you throw in this delicious cucumber sauce (that I make with yogurt), you've got a comforting dish that won't get your health goals off track.
If You Like These Quinoa Cakes, You May Also Like:
- Quinoa Fritters
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers with Avocado Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Mexican Quinoa Burgers
- Zucchini Quinoa Patties
- Curried Roasted Chickpeas
Quinoa Cakes with Chickpeas Creamy Cucumber Sauce
- ¾ cup quinoa flakes
- 3 cups chickpeas drained and rinsed (about 2 cans)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 2 eggs OR flax eggs 2 tablespoons flax seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 3 scallions sliced thin
- ¼ cup red pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil more as needed
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt dairy or non-dairy (you can also use sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- Salt and pepper
- Make flax eggs by combining flax seeds with warm water and setting aside.
- Place quinoa flakes in a food processor and process until smooth. Add in chickpeas, quinoa and chickpea flour and process until mostly pureed but some large chunks remain.
- In a medium bowl combine flax eggs, tahini, cilantro, scallions, red pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in processed quinoa mixture and form into 8 equal patties, about ½ cup each.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook until brown, about 6 minutes per side. Patties are ready to be flipped when the edges start to brown.
- Serve with cucumber sauce.
To Make the Sauce
- Make the cucumber sauce by placing shredded cucumber in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Combine cucumber, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and scallions in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.