Want perfect quinoa every time? Give this Instant Pot Quinoa a try! It is the perfect easy way to cook quinoa. Once you learn how to make Instant Pot Quinoa, you may never want to make it any other way.
I was cooking quinoa long before many people even knew what it was.
With over 800 quinoa recipes under my belt, it is safe to say that I’ve learned a thing or two along the way.
So guys…listen to me when I tell you that if you want a simple way to get perfect quinoa every time, you are going to want to pull out your Instant Pot and make this Instant Pot Quinoa.
I will admit that I was super-skeptical that in just one minute of cooking time you could make fluffy quinoa in the instant pot.
I was afraid that it would be mushy, gummy and just gross.
So concerned, that I had all the ingredients on hand to make Black Bean Quinoa Burgers the first time I tried it. (FYI, veggie burgers are one of the best uses I’ve found for quinoa that is slightly overcooked.)
But once again, my handy-dandy pressure cooker came through. I love how hands off making quinoa in the Instant Pot is. Just set it and go.
The only thing you really need to worry about is making sure that once the pressure is released – about 10 minutes after cooking – you open up your Instant Pot so that the quinoa doesn’t keep steaming.
Because THIS can lead to mushy quinoa. #speakingfromexperience
(The second time I made Quinoa in an Instant Pot I got distracted with Skye and left it in there for about an hour after cooking. I was very happy those ingredients for veggie burgers were still on hand.)
How to Make Instant Pot Quinoa
Step 1: Gather your ingredients.
You will need quinoa, oil, an onion, garlic, broth and salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Soak Your Quinoa
You want to soak your quinoa for about an hour.
Step 3: Drain and Rinse
Next, rinse it under cool water until the water runs clear.
Step 4: Saute
Turn your Instant Pot to saute’.
Add your oil and onion and cook until the onion is tender about 8 minutes.
Add garlic and quinoa and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
Step 5: Cook
Add broth, salt, and pepper and place the lid on the pot.
Cook on high pressure for one minute.
Step 6: Release
Allow the pressure to release naturally. This should take about 10 minutes.
Remove lid and fluff!
Frequently Asked Questions for Instant Pot Quinoa:
How Long Do You Cook Quinoa in an Instant Pot?
It only takes one minute to cook quinoa in the Instant Pot, however, you do need to wait another 10 minutes for the pressure to release naturally.
How Much Does One Cup of Dry Quinoa Make?
One cup of dry quinoa makes 3 cups of cooked quinoa.
Do You Need to Wash Quinoa Before Cooking?
Yes. Quinoa is covered in a bitter substance called saponin. This substance protects the seeds from birds and pest as they grow. Not only does it taste bitter, but it can also cause gastrointestinal distress. Luckily, it rinses off easily. To rinse quinoa, place it in a fine metal strainer and rinse under cold water for 3 to 5 minutes until the water runs clear.
What is the Ratio of Quinoa to Liquid Needed for Instant Pot Quinoa?
You need a ratio of 1:1.5 quinoa to water in the instant pot.
Can You Freeze Quinoa?
Yes! Quinoa freezes beautifully.
To freeze, spread the quinoa on a sheet pan and allow it to cool completely. Transfer to a freezer safe dish or bag and freeze for up to three months.
Tools for Making Instant Pot Quinoa Recipes
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other high-heat oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Soak quinoa in water for one hour.
- Place in a fine metal strainer. Rinse with cool water for three to five minutes, until the water runs clear.
- Turn your instant pot to sauté.
- Add oil and diced onion. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and rinsed quinoa. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add vegetable broth and salt and pepper to the Instant Pot and place the lid on the pot. (Don't forget to make sure that your Instant Pot is NOT set to vent.)
- Cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
- Allow pressure to release naturally. (About 10 minutes.)
- Carefully remove lid and fluff!
Variations for Instant Pot Quinoa
If you want to kick things up a notch in terms of flavor, try adding these seasonings. They are intended to be used in salads, wraps, and casseroles but also work as a very simple side dish.
Instant Pot Mediterranean Quinoa:
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and Pepper
Instant Pot Southwestern Quinoa:
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
Instant Pot Breakfast Quinoa
- To make sweet quinoa to use in breakfast bowls and casseroles, omit the broth, onion, and garlic.
- Instead Cook in One of the Following
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the Instant Pot.
Serving Suggestions for Instant Pot Quinoa Recipes
This method of cooking quinoa will work with most any quinoa recipe on the website. To see a full list of all of the recipes that call for cooked quinoa, go to the search bar and type in "cooked quinoa"
A few favorites include:
- Quinoa Broccoli Casserole
- Italian Baked Quinoa with Fresh Tomato Topping
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Wraps
Tips for Making Quinoa in an Instant Pot
If you are new to cooking with an Instant Pot, here are some helpful tips.
If You Like Instant Pot Quinoa You May Also Like:
- How to Cook Quinoa
- How to Cook Quinoa in a Rice Cooker
- Loaded Veggie Quinoa Pasta
- Instant Pot Potato Salad