These Spinach & Red Pepper Breakfast Quesadillas are a delicious breakfast with enough protein to keep you satisfied until lunch!
I've mentioned before that I feel better when I start my day with a protein-packed breakfast. It turns out I may be on to something.
A new study presented at the Obesity Society's annual meeting found that women who ate a protein-packed breakfast felt more satisfied and ate about 100 calories less at lunch compared to those who ate a low-protein breakfast.
Another study suggested that a high-protein breakfast may help to keep evening snacking in check as well.
"Protein is key for satiety because it activates the body's signals that curb appetite, reduce food cravings and prevent overeating," says Heather Leidy, Ph.D., lead author and assistant professor in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology at the University of Missouri. (Source: Eating Well Magazine, May/June 2014)
One of my latest obsessions is these Zucchini Pancakes. They are packed with flavor and remind me of a hash brown, minus the carbs.
Lately, I've also been enjoying these Spinach & Red Pepper Breakfast Quesadillas. They are easy to make, filling and so delicious. Even my picky kids like them.
I use AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites to fill my quesadillas because they contain 100% real liquid egg whites and are so convenient. With five grams of protein a serving, no cholesterol or fat and half the calories of traditional whole eggs, they are a great way to start my day.
But they aren't just for breakfast! I love how versatile AllWhites 100% Liquid Egg Whites are!
Since they are pasteurized for safety and safer than traditional whole eggs you can enjoy AllWhites uncooked in salad dressing recipes, shakes, smoothies and desserts without fear of food borne illness.
Tools for Making this Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe
Breakfast Quesadillas with Spinach and Red Pepper
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- 4 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 4 tortillas gluten-free
- For Serving: Tomatoes Cilantro, Salsa, Guacamole or
- Spray a skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add spinach and chopped red pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook until the eggs are cooked through, stirring often. Remove from the pan and wipe the pan clean.
- Lightly spray the pan and return to medium heat. Spread ¼ of the egg mixture on half of each of the tortillas. Top with cheese and fold over. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes a side, until golden brown. Serve desired toppings.