This Broccoli Apple Salad is one I turn to again and again. Broccoli, apple, red onion, and sunflower seeds are coated in a Sweet Dijon Dressing for a delicious salad that is always a crowd-pleaser. This works just as well for a weeknight meal as it does on your holiday table.
Broccoli Apple Salad is the perfect side dish for potluck dinners, summer parties and even the holidays. I love how easy this recipe is.
It is also incredibly delicious!
The sweetness of the apple combined with the savory flavor of the broccoli and punch mustard vinaigrette makes for a tasty and satisfying dish.
Give this broccoli apple salad recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients for Making Apple Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli: Look for broccoli that has bright green florets that are free from any yellowing. The stalk should be firm, and the florets should be tightly closed.
- Red onion: Choose a red onion that is firm and free from any brown spots.
- Sunflower seeds: To toast the sunflower seeds, simply place them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until they are lightly browned.
- Apple: For this recipe, you will need one apple that is peeled, cored, and diced. I like to use Granny Smith apples because they are tart and have a firm texture or Honey Crisp for a sweeter flavor.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley has a bright flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients in this salad. If you can’t find fresh parsley, you can use dried parsley instead.
- Dijon mustard: Dijon mustard is a type of French mustard that is made with wine, vinegar, and spices. It has a sharp flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients in this salad.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup has a sweet, slightly smoky flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients in this salad.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Choose the best quality that you can.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is made from apple cider that has been fermented. It has a slightly sweet and tangy flavor.
- Sea salt: You could use kosher salt or table salt if you prefer.
- Black pepper: Black pepper is a type of spice that is made from the dried, unripe berries of the pepper plant. It has a sharp, pungent flavor and can help to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients in this salad.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a sharp knife to chop the broccoli into small pieces. This will help to ensure that all of the pieces are evenly cooked.
- If you want a bit more sweetness in your salad, you can add raisins or dried cranberries.
- To give the salad a bit of extra crunch, you can add chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts.
- The dressing for this salad can be made up to four days ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to serve the salad. Simply whisk it together again before adding it to the salad.
- If you want to make this salad ahead of time, you can chop all of the vegetables and mix them together in a large bowl. Then, add the dressing the day of serving. This will help to ensure that the salad stays fresh and crunchy.
This apple broccoli salad is delicious on its own, but it can also be served with a variety of different dishes.
Try it with grilled chicken or fish, on top of a bed of greens, as a side dish to your favorite summer BBQ, or on your holiday table.
No matter how you serve it, you’re sure to enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
The best dressing for apple broccoli salad is a sweet and tangy dressing made with Dijon mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and olive oil.
Some recipes use mayo in the dressing, but I think broccoli apple salad with no mayo is much lighter and more refreshing.
Yes, you can make apple broccoli salad without onion. Simply omit the onion from the recipe.
For a bit of extra crunch, you can add chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts. Dried cranberries or cherries works for a kick of sweetness.
Broccoli salad with apple cider vinegar dressing will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. For the best presentation, you may wish to wait to add the apple just before serving.
Be sure to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
How To Make Apple Broccoli Salad
First, start by chopping the broccoli into small florets. If you want, you can also include the stems. Just make sure to chop them into small pieces so that they are easy to eat.
Next, add the broccoli to a large bowl.
Then, add the onion, apple, sunflower seeds, and parsley.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Serve immediately or store in the fridge for later. Enjoy!
Broccoli Apple Salad
- 1 pound broccoli with stems
- ½ medium red onion sliced into quarter moons
- ½ cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 1 apple cored and diced
- ¼ cup parsley chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place a large pot of water on to boil.
- Trim stems off of broccoli and cut florets into bite sized pieces.
- Blanch broccoli for 1 minutes and then rinse with cool water.
- Julienne stems and place broccoli and stems in a large bowl. Add onion, sunflower seeds, apple and parsley.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and process until well combined.
- Toss with broccoli mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve cold or at room temperature.
A perfect side for summer! Love it!
What a delicious summer get together side idea!