It was pouring this morning and both boys independently and not having heard his brother, announced that since it was raining they couldn’t possibly do a full day of school and instead we would have to have a snuggle day.
My first instinct was to laugh. The idea came from when we lived in Arizona, I used to make a big deal of it when it did rain and we would watch movies, snuggle and eat popcorn all day.
Of course Arizona gets a day worthy of that about three times a year, so I knew that their homeschooling wasn’t going to be seriously impeded by getting to take it easy due to rain.
Now that we are in Florida it is a whole different story. Because of this a part of me wanted to tell them no that if other kids could get out in the rain and go to school, they could certainly manage to get their work done while having the luxury of staying dry at home.
Then I realized how lucky I was to have two such amazing boys who were (almost) 8 and 9 that actually wanted to hang out with me and snuggle. So, we struck a deal.
They did about an hour and a half of the basics (math, reading & science) and then their wish was granted.
Snuggles and popcorn were enjoyed by all!
Do you ever let your kids off the hook so that you can spend time together? What do you do?
Sweet Mustard Broccoli Salad
- 1 pound broccoli with stems
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced into quarter moons
- ½ cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 1 apple cored and diced
- ¼ cup parsley chopped fine
- Sweet Dijon Dressing
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place a large pot of water on to boil. Trim stems off of broccoli and cut florets into bite sized pieces. Blanch broccoli for 1 minutes and then rinse with cool water. Julienne stems and place broccoli and stems in a large bowl. Add onion, sunflower seeds, apple and parsley.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and process until well combined. Toss with broccoli mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve cold.