This easy to make Vegetarian Paella is a simplified version of an extravagant dish you love! This is a satisfying vegetarian one-dish meal that is perfect for a weeknight family meal. It doesn't get much more nourishing than this!
Every now and then, I love making a really extravagant recipe that takes all afternoon. This is usually when not much else is going on, and I feel like spending time in the kitchen making someone else's recipe for a change.
Truth be told, that doesn't happen often.
A few weeks back, I had the urge to make Paella. It isn't something I make often and it could have been a candidate for one of my all afternoon cooking sessions.But sadly, this is most certainly not one of those times in my life when I don't have much going on.
Luckily, just because Paella can be fussy and involved doesn't mean it has to be!
This Vegetable Paella has all of the yumminess without requiring that you sacrifice your afternoon. In fact, this quick and easy paella comes together in about 45 minutes. And much of that is hands-off cooking time.
A key ingredient in this Vegetable Paella is Saffron. Saffron is a traditional flavoring in many European dishes.
In addition to finding it in Spanish Paella, you will also see it in French Bouillabaisse, and Milanese Risotto.
It is also used quite extensively in Middle Eastern cooking. It doesn't take much - just a pinch will color and flavor a pound of rice.
Tools for Making the Vegetarian Paella Recipe
- Paella Pan or Oven-Safe Skillet with a Lid
- Lemon Squeezer (optional)
- Garlic Mincer
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Vegetarian Yellow Rice or white rice + 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 ¼ cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas thawed
- 14 ounces artichoke chopped
- ⅓ cup green olives chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon Wedges and parsley for garnish
- Heat avocado oil in a large shallow skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, garlic, saffron, smoked paprika, and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook, occasionally stirring, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in rice mix and 2 ¼ cup of water or broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 18 minutes.
- Add the peas, artichoke hearts, and olives to the pan. Cook, without stirring, until the rice is al dente and forms a crust at the bottom of the pan, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR THE VEGETARIAN PAELLA RECIPE
- Use leftovers to stuff peppers! Hollow out the peppers and stuff. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees, until the peppers start to blister.
VARIATIONS FOR THIS VEGETARIAN PAELLA RECIPE
- Add 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed when you add the peas.
- Add 8 ounces sliced mushrooms with the onion.
The photos look so appetizing! It is great to know all the Vegetarian options available in Spanish cooking. Thanks.
I am not a vegetarian but it really looks tasty. Worth a try.
It looks like a delicious, and filling meal. I can't wait to get in the kitchen and try it for myself.
This looks like a beautiful dish! I am not a vegetarian but I don't do seafood so this works for me!
CARMEN | wellingtonworldtravels.com
I also thought Paella is complicated. Thank you for sharing a quick and easy recipe. This looks yummy.
I always enjoy your recipes Wendy’s. I am anxiously waiting to try this new paella. Although I am not vegetarian, I am gluten free. I thoroughly enjoy all your vegetarian dishes. I do like to eat something different once in a while so I turn to your website for delicious recipes. I have not heard of VIGO products before..perhaps because I’m in Canada? Will certainly look into it because you never let us down..much appreciated!
I always enjoy your recipes Wendy I am anxiously waiting to try this new paella. Although I am not vegetarian, I am gluten free. I thoroughly enjoy all your vegetarian dishes. I do like to eat something different once in a while so I turn to your website for delicious recipes. I have not heard of VIGO products before..perhaps because I’m in Canada? Will certainly look into it because you never let us down..much appreciated!
Hi Wendy, I have followed your site for years and enjoyed many of your recipes...Thank you. This one for the vegetarian paella is the most interesting to me yet...so many different ingredients that I love but have never put together. We eat no meat suppers every Friday so I can hardly wait to make this one. I had no idea that Vigo had so many products, I love their rice!
I'm going to try this recipe this week. Already have the ingredients added to my shopping list. Sounds delicious!
These are no doubt beautiful and creative. I love paella. I’ve never had it without a protein like seafood or chicken and wonder if I’d feel satisfied.
LOVE VIGO products! They are deliciously seasoned. When I'm out of their Beef, Chicken or Ham soup bases, I order a box full from Vigo online.
This looks delicious! I’m a huge paella fan but never tried vegetarian version!
Anshika | www.thefoodroot.com
Love these vegetarian recipes! looks delish!
Oh, wow, this looks really good. We love Vigo products.
This recipe looks really good. Will have to try the Vigo products.
Looks amazing! You take such good photos and your recipes look so appealing! Looking forward to reading more xx
I am trying to incorporate more vegetarian dishes in our diet and this looks amazing! Vigo products look very interesting and would love a chance to give them a try. Will definitely be trying the paella soon. Will let you know how it turns out. Always love your recipes.
That's a gorgeous dish! We do eat with our eyes!
This looks delicious! I'll be buying the yellow rice this weekend - right up our ally for a meal idea!
I am looking forward to trying the yellow rice with some pork!
This looks simply delicious I’m sure I could make this easily! Thanks for the recipe!
We eat a lot of Vigo products. Their split pea soup is one of the best things I have ever tasted!!!