Eating with the seasons is a good thing. But some foods I avoid in the summer and then when September rolls around I wonder why I stayed away.
Butternut Squash is one of them. Today’s Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole is my favorite kind of vegetarian main dish. It takes butternut squash casserole to a whole new level!
To me, it is the perfect example of comfort food that you don’t have to feel guilty about enjoying.
Did you know that just one cup of butternut squash has 160 percent of your recommended amount of vitamin A? Vitamin A is important to keep your immune system, skin and eyes in good shape.
Vitamin A also happens to be really good for your gut. It is needed to help the body assimilate nutrients.
If you are looking for more ways to enjoy butternut squash, you might enjoy these recipes.
Do you have a favorite butternut squash casserole recipe?
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 6 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 T fresh sage
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional)
- ½ cup milk (dairy, soy or almond)
- 1 cup Gruyere or Vegan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Add squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sage and cook for 8 minutes or until shallots are tender. Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in quinoa and squash and stir for another minute.
- Add in broth, black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Move the quinoa mixture to an oven safe pan. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs and pour over the quinoa mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, broil for two minutes to brown the top.
Servings 6, Calories 230, Fat 7.2g, Carbohydrates 36.3g, Protein 7g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 847mg, Potassium 582mg, Fiber 4.7g, Sugars 2.3g, WW Pts