This easy Arugula Pesto Pasta dish is a great way to get your daily dose of greens! The pesto is packed with flavor and pairs perfectly with the pasta. You can make this dish in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Pasta is a quick and easy weeknight meal that everyone loves. This Arugula Pesto Pasta dish is made with pasta, arugula pesto, and sausage.
This dish can be easily made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for later. Simply reheat and enjoy
Ingredients for Making Arugula Pesto Pasta
- Olive Oil: You'll need some olive oil to cook the pasta and sausage.
- Parmesan: For the pesto, you'll need either Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or vegan parmesan. I recommend grating your own parmesan for the fullest flavor.
- Arugula: The star of the pesto is arugula. You'll need 5 ounces for the pesto. I used baby arugula, but whatever you have works.
- Pine Nuts: Pine nuts add a nice flavor and crunch to the pesto. You'll need 2 tablespoons. Pecans or walnuts can also be used.
- Lemon Juice: A little lemon juice brightens up the pesto. I recommend freshly squeezed.
- Garlic: You'll need both minced garlic for the pesto and garlic for the sausage. I like a lot of garlic, so feel free to adjust to your taste.
- Salt: To taste
- Cayenne Pepper: This is optional, but I like a little bit of heat in my pesto. If you don't want any heat, leave it out.
- Spaghetti: I used gluten-free spaghetti, but you can use any type of pasta.
- Sausage: I used spicy gluten-free Italian turkey sausage, but you can use any type of sausage or tempeh sausage.
How to Make Sausage and Arugula Pasta
First, start by making your arugula pesto. Add the arugula, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Set the pesto aside.
Next, cook your pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¾ cup of the cooking liquid.
While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Re-spray the pan with cooking spray if necessary. Add 1 teaspoon of garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the reserved pasta cooking liquid to the pan and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and whisk to combine. Add the pasta to the pan and toss to combine. Stir in the pesto until well combined.
Top with additional Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Serve warm.
This Arugula Pesto Pasta dish is a quick and easy weeknight meal that is full of flavor.
Arugula Pesto Pasta with Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or vegan parmesan
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces gluten free spaghetti I use quinoa pasta
- 10 ounces spicy gluten free Italian turkey sausage or tempeh sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For Serving
- Parmesan Cheese Pine Nuts
- Make Pesto: In a blender or food processor combine olive oil, cheese, arugula, pine nuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Process until well combined.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving ¾ cup of cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Spray pan well. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Re-spray pan if necessary. Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid to the pan and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and whisk to combine. Add pasta to the pan and toss to combine. Stir in pesto until well combined.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Serve warm.