There's something undeniably comforting about the aroma of homemade white bread wafting through your home. However, the idea of spending hours kneading and proofing dough can be quite daunting. Enter the hero of this story - the bread machine! With a little prep and the push of a button, you can have a loaf of soft, fluffy Bread Machine White Bread baking away in no time.
There's something heartwarming and satisfying about the smell of fresh bread wafting through your kitchen.
But many people feel intimate by making homemade bread. That's where our Bread Machine White Bread comes in. This simple recipe takes all the fuss out of bread making, transforming it into an easy "dump and go" process that even beginners can master.
Our bread machine white bread recipe is perfect for those who are new to using a bread machine, or for anyone who simply wants a straightforward, reliable recipe.
With just seven ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time, this recipe is as simple as it gets. But don't let its simplicity fool you — the result is a loaf of white bread that's soft, fluffy, and absolutely delicious. It is the perfect sandwich bread and so much better than store-bought.
So if you've been searching for the perfect white bread machine recipe, look no further. Give it a try, and we're confident that you'll agree that this is one of the best white bread recipes for the bread machine out there.
- Whole Milk: Used at room temperature, whole milk provides richness and helps create a tender crumb in our white bread bread machine recipe. Non-dairy milk can be used but the protein levels will be different and this will impact the texture.
- Water: Warm water activates the yeast and combines all the ingredients together into a dough. It's important to use water at room temperature as too hot or cold can interfere with the yeast's activity.
- Unsalted Butter: Adding unsalted butter at room temperature gives the bread a rich flavor and soft texture. If need be, you can substitute it with margarine or vegetable oil, but keep in mind that it may alter the final taste and texture of your bread.
- Honey: The honey in this recipe lends a touch of natural sweetness to the bread. If you don't have honey, you could substitute it with a similar amount of sugar or maple syrup.
- Bread Flour: Bread flour is ideal for making white bread in a bread machine due to its high protein content, which creates a good structure for the bread. If you don't have bread flour on hand, you can use all-purpose flour instead, but the resulting loaf might not be as chewy.
- Instant Yeast/Bread Machine Yeast: This type of yeast is perfect for bread machines and helps the bread rise. Be sure to check the expiration date on your yeast before using it, as old yeast might not work properly.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt enhances the flavor of the bread and strengthens the gluten structure in the dough. If you don't have sea salt, you can substitute it with table salt or kosher salt.
Step by Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
Tips & Tricks
- Choosing the Right Ingredients: For the best results with your white bread for the bread machine, make sure to use fresh, high-quality ingredients. This includes using fresh yeast and high-protein bread flour.
- Adding Ingredients in Order: Always add the ingredients to your bread machine in the order recommended by the bread machine manufacturer. This ensures that the yeast doesn't come into contact with the salt or the liquid too soon, which could affect the rising process.
- Using the Right Cycle: Use the basic or white bread cycle on your bread machine for making white bread in a bread machine. It provides the right amount of kneading, rising, and baking time for a perfect loaf.
- Cooling the Bread: Allow the white bread loaf to cool completely before slicing. This helps the bread maintain its structure and makes it easier to cut.
- Storing Your Bread: To keep your loaves of bread fresh, store it in a bread box or wrap it in a plastic bag once it's completely cooled. Avoid refrigerating it as it can cause the bread to dry out.
- Experimenting with Flavors: Feel free to experiment by adding herbs, garlic, spices, cheese, or other flavorings to the dough. Just be careful not to add too much, as it could affect the bread's rise.
Why do I need bread flour for this recipe?
Bread flour is one of the best types of flour for making white bread in a bread machine due to its high protein content, which creates a good structure for the bread. If you don't have bread flour on hand, you can use all-purpose flour instead, but the resulting loaf might not be as chewy.
What other ingredients can I add to this recipe?
Feel free to experiment with your white bread recipe by adding herbs, spices, or other flavorings to the dough. Just be careful not to add too much, as it could affect the bread's rise. You can also substitute the honey with sugar or maple syrup for a slightly different taste.
Can I use active dry yeast instead of instant dry yeast/bread machine yeast?
Yes, you can use active dry yeast instead of instant dry yeast. It isn’t my prefererence, but it will work.
I recommend activating it first by mixing it with warm milk and sugar (105° F to 110 ° F) before adding it to the bread machine. Otherwise, follow the same instructions as for instant dry yeast/bread machine yeast.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Storing bread machine white bread properly is key to maintaining its freshness and flavor. Once the bread has completely cooled, it can be stored at room temperature in a bread box or an airtight container for about 3 to 4 days.
For longer storage, you can freeze the bread.
Simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag. It should keep for up to three months. I like to freeze slices so they are easy to pull out at toast.
When ready to use, thaw it at room temperature overnight.
More Bread Recipes to Try
- If you're in the mood for something a little different, give our Bread Machine Pumpkin Bread a try - it's packed with warm spices and pumpkin flavor, the perfect bread machine bread recipe for fall.
- Our Bread Machine Dinner Rolls are soft, fluffy, and absolutely irresistible when served warm from the oven - they're the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
- For a touch of luxury, why not try making your own Bread Machine Brioche? This rich, buttery bread is truly a delight to eat.
- Finally, our Cranberry Orange Bread recipe offers a sweet and tart combination that's simply delightful. It's perfect for a holiday treat or anytime you want a burst of fruit flavor in your bread.
Easy No Fail Bread Machine White Bread
- Bread Machine
- ¾ cup whole milk at room temperature
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant dry yeast or bread machine yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Pour the milk and water into your bread machine. Then add the butter, honey, bread flour, yeast, and salt.
- Bake on the white bread setting, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the time is up, carefully remove the bread pan from the machine.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack before slicing.