If you are looking for a healthy side for your next gathering, this Broccoli Slaw Salad is a fabulous option. It is packed with both flavor and nutrition and is a crowd pleaser. With a no mayo dressing, this is a dish you can feel good about serving. Naturally gluten-free and easily made vegan. Leftovers are great on sandwiches and wraps.
- 1 Broccoli Slaw Salad Backstory
- 2 How Do I Make Broccoli Salad?
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions for Broccoli Slaw Salad:
- 4 Variations for This Recipe:
- 5 Tips for Making Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 6 Serving Suggestions:
- 7 Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 8 In Addition to This Recipe, Here are Some Other Recipes with Broccoli Slaw to Try:
Broccoli Slaw Salad Backstory
For as long as I can remember, broccoli has been one of my favorite vegetables.
I am sure it started with my Mom, who would do anything to get us to eat our veggies.
And my Mom has always had my number.
Anyone who knows me knows that I love, love cheese.
From the time I was tiny, the only way I remember my Mom serving broccoli was with gobs of melted cheese on top.
I was always so caught up in the cheesy goodness of it all that I never thought to resist the green.
I can even remember begging to eat JUST BROCCOLI FOR DINNER.
(Sadly, this has never happened with my kids.)
I am certainly not going to dis the classic broccoli and cheese combination, however these days one of my favorite ways to eat broccoli is raw.
The crunch-factor can’t be beat, and I love how a delicious broccoli salad makes me feel.
I have mentioned before that I struggle with grocery waste and so this is something I have been working diligently on.
A few weeks ago when I found myself with a lot of broccoli on hand, I started thinking about using some of it in a salad. And while I was at it, why not use the stalks too!
This Broccoli Slaw Salad recipe is a fabulous way to use ALL the broccoli, however if you are short on time you can just as easily pick up a bag of broccoli slaw at the grocery store.
To keep things light, I used a no-mayo dressing, which makes this a great side to heartier dishes for your next grill out. (I am pretty sure this will be making an regular appearance in our menus once spring and summer hit.)
How Do I Make Broccoli Salad?
Time needed: 15 minutes.
In just 15 minutes, you can be enjoying a delicious Broccoli Slaw Salad!
- Gather your ingredients
First, you want to get all of your ingredients together. You will need broccoli, broccoli slaw, carrots, cabbage, red onion, almonds, cranberries, Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Swerve, garlic powder, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Make the Dressing
Next, combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Swerve, Garlic powder, celery seed cayenne pepper and salt and pepper in a blender or small bowl. Mix well. May be made ahead or tossed immediately.
- Prepare Salad
Finally, in a large bowl combine slaw, florets, almonds, cranberries and red onion. Toss with salad.
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Frequently Asked Questions for Broccoli Slaw Salad:
I prefer this dish the same day it is made because the texture is best then, but you can keep it in the fridge for up to three days. I prefer leftovers after the first 24 hours in wraps or on sandwiches.
Yes! If you want to do this, I would recommend omitting the olive oil and using 1/4 cup + two tablespoons of mayonnaise
Any sweetener will do – even honey or maple syrup! I recommend starting with a tablespoon of sweetener and then adjusting according to your tastes. I personally went with a bit of a sweet-heat thing here, so if you are leaving off the cayenne pepper you may want to dial the sweetener down a notch or two. (Or not!)
Variations for This Recipe:
- Make it Vegan: Use plain non-dairy yogurt. Alternatively, Vegan Mayo (Veganaise) is amazing in this dressing.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use plain non-dairy yogurt
- Make it Nut Free: Omit the almonds and instead use sunflower seeds or pepitas.
- For a fun twist, use a Honey Dijon Dressing in place of the one here. This one from Detoxinista is a good one to try!
- In the fall, I like to add in a chopped Fuji apple. You can do this in addition to or in place of the cranberries.
Tips for Making Broccoli Slaw Salad
- This salad may be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to two days.
- If you have Broccoli in the fridge, use the stalks to make your own Broccoli Slaw. You can grate them with a hand grater, but a food processor makes quick work of this. I like to add in shredded purple cabbage and carrots.
- This salad is a great side for your next grill out! Serve it with grilled chicken, burgers, or steak.
- It is also great in wraps!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools to Make This Recipe:
Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 16 ounces broccoli slaw or a mixture of shredded broccoli stalks, purple cabbage, and carrots
- 6 ounces broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Swerve, garlic powder and celery seed.
- If you like a little heat, add in cayenne pepper.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add broccoli slaw, broccoli, almonds, cranberries and red onion.
- Toss salad with dressing. Refrigerate until serving.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Mashed Potatoes with Bacon
- Chicken Broccoli Penne
- Broccoli Salad with Cheddar
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Risotto