This Mango Quinoa Salad with Cashews and Oranges is a light and flavorful vegan quinoa salad that is the perfect way to put a little spring into your step!
You guys just....ROCK.
Thank you so much to all of those who took the time to leave me a comment or send me an email after my last post. Amazingly you managed to collectively tell me exactly what I need to hear as I go into the home stretch of this pregnancy and prepare for my first natural labor.
I need to let go, relax and enjoy the moment.
These days as women, we aren't really taught to associate enjoyment with pregnancy (especially late pregnancy!) or labor all that much, are we?
Pick up a copy of What to Expect When You are Expecting and you will get a list of 147 different ailments that you might be afflicted with at any given point during your pregnancy. Or 300 things to worry about during birth, most of which might lead to a C Section. There is almost no mention of enjoying the process for the miracle it is. Every week I get an email from baby center that talks about baby's growth and how I might be feeling bad that week. (I love reading about baby - but do I really need a reminder that I'm SUPPOSED to be exhausted right now? Or that I might develop itchy red bumps all over?)
I think all the negativity that has been rubbing off on me more than I'd realized and I was just a big bundle of nerves about all the "bad stuff" that might be headed my way. Thank you for reminding me of the miracle I'm lucky enough to be experiencing and for helping me focus on what is important.
Today I have a great salad that is perfect to brighten a winter day! The sweetness of the orange and mango really plays well with the bite of cilantro and heat of the jalapeno. It kind of feels like a (healthy) party in your mouth. Hope you enjoy.
Mango Quinoa Salad Recipe
Cashew, Orange & Mango Quinoa Salad
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds OR 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons white miso OR salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon umi plum vinegar optional
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 mangos peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- ½ cup cashews
- If using chia seeds in place of oil in the dressing, combine chia seeds and 2 tablespoons water and mix well. Set aside for a gel to form.
- Peel oranges and remove pith. Over a medium bowl to catch juices, cut orange into segments. Squeeze the remaining membranes over the bowl and strain juices into a small bowl. Place orange segments in a separate bowl.
- Add chia gel or oil, lime juice, miso or salt and plum vinegar to the bowl with the orange juice. Whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa, mangos, cilantro, red onion and jalapenos. Toss with dressing and top with cashews to serve.
If You Like This Post You May Also Like:
Adding mango into this combo of a salad sounds perfect.