These Cheesy Chicken & Poblano Pepper Tostadas are a delicious appetizer or main course. Perfect for casual entertaining.
Who else is hopelessly addicted to Chopped on the Food Network?
I don’t watch a lot of TV, but if you ever find me binge-watching on the weekend, chances are it will be a Chopped marathon.
Before I started a food blog, I was the kind of cook who would go into the kitchen, pull some ingredients out and then figure out what was going to be for dinner. I loved the adventure of it all!
Today, I’m having fun with my own “Basket” of groceries for the Chopped At Home Challenge.
Now, I have to confess; I lucked out on the basket.
Even though this is the At Home version, I was expecting at least one tricky ingredient. (Pumpkin Pie? Leftovers? A fish I didn't know how to cut?)
Instead, I got the Sargento® 4 Cheese Mexican Blend, corn tortillas, poblano peppers and chicken thighs.
With over 30 versatile varieties, unique blends, and distinct cuts I knew as soon as I heard that Sargento was part of the challenge I was in luck! I love that Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese.
Since Mexican inspired dishes are always a favorite around our house, it wasn’t hard to come up with today’s Cheesy Chicken & Poblano Pepper Tostadas.
I don’t say this often guys, but THIS is one you must make. It the favorite thing I’ve created in a long while.
With crispy oven-baked tortillas, chicken seasoned with the right amount of bite, a creamy cheese sauce, and fresh tomato cilantro topping, this is one you will make again and again.
Now I know some of you aren’t going to want to go to the trouble of all of this - so here is a tip. If you don’t have time to make the cheese sauce, skip it! Just melt a little Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend on top and you will be good to go.
If you like Chopped as much as I do, you can get in on the action too! Submit your recipe to http://www.FoodNetwork.com/ChoppedChallenge for a chance to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize.
Phase 2 Details:
Phase 2 Entry 4/25/16 at 9am – 5/23/16 at 9am
Phase 2 Vote 5/23/16 at 9am – 6/13/16 at 5pm
Cheesy Chicken & Poblano Pepper Tostadas
- Tomato Topping
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons cilantro diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 poblano peppers seeded and diced
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bone broth or chicken stock
- Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend
- For Serving
- Pickled Jalapeños
- In a small bowl, combine onion, tomato and cilantro. Toss with lime juice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 420. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray well with a high heat oil. Arrange tortillas on baking sheet. Bake for five minutes, flip, and bake an additional five minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt and stir well. Add tomato paste, and cook until well combined. Stir in vinegar and bone broth and cook for another 5 minutes.
- To make Cheese Sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for a minute or two, until lightly brown. Stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend. Cook until melted.
- To assemble, place chicken on tortillas. Add cheese sauce, onion mixture and jalapeños.
If You Like this Post You May Also Like:
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.