Thank you Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post. Make a delicious and convenient meal for your family tonight with potatoes!
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Broccoli are the perfect comfort food recipe for your holiday table. Serve them right away, or make them ahead and reheat as a casserole.
My favorite thing about fall is comfort food. When I think about comfort food, one of the first things that comes to mind is potatoes.
There are so many different ways to enjoy them; they are a culinary canvas of unlimited possibilities. It is no wonder that they are a staple in every cuisine around the world.
I love that they potatoes the opposite of fussy. They are easy to stock up on since they keep so well. I can't tell you how many times I haven't known what was going to go with dinner and I've been saved by a bag of potatoes in the bottom of the pantry, along with vegetables from the freezer. Talk about convenience!
Of all the ways to enjoy potatoes, my favorite is mashed potatoes. They are pure comfort food from childhood!
These days I tend to dress my mashed potatoes up a bit.
Today I've got Bacon, Broccoli and Cheese Mashed Potatoes that are perfect for your holiday table...or Tuesday night.
Although it isn’t what my mom used growing up, I love using red potatoes when I make mashed potatoes. The rustic look and texture is just perfect to me. They are waxy, moist and smooth, giving them the ideal texture for creamy mashed potatoes. They are also perfect for roasting, in soups and stews and in salads.
It is so easy to elevate your basic mashed potatoes with ingredients you probably use all the time. With Bacon, Broccoli, Cheese, and Potatoes, you have got a kid-friendly combination that the whole crowd will love.
Want to make these ahead? Not a problem. I've got instructions to turn this into a make-ahead casserole that is perfect for the holidays.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Broccoli
- 3 lbs red potatoes quartered
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 8 ounces bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan and cover with water. Salt well. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- While the bacon and potatoes are cooking, steam broccoli for 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes are almost done, bring milk to a simmer. Add butter and stir until melted. Pour the mixture over the warm potatoes and add salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in cooked bacon, broccoli, sour cream, 4 ounces of cheese and chives. Mix until well combined, and top with additional cheese.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.