Ready to take your lasagna game to the next level? Look no further than this delicious crockpot lasagna recipe! This slow cooked version of the classic Italian dish is sure to be a hit with your family. With layers of gooey cheese teamed with a meaty tomato sauce, this tasty-yet-easy meal will have everyone coming back for seconds. Get ready to enjoy some classic comfort food with a twist - crock pot lasagna with ricotta is sure to be a hit!
Lasagna is one of our favorite meals. We love veggie lasagna, Crockpot ravioli lasagna, eggplant lasagna, and even this keto lasagna skillet.
But there's one lasagna recipe that I turn to again and again: Crockpot Lasagna with Ricotta!
This hearty, gooey dish is perfect for a lazy weekend dinner or even for a special occasion. With layers of delicious noodles, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese, slow cooked lasagna is sure to be a hit with everyone.
Not only is it tasty and filling, but it also comes together with minimal prep time! Get ready to enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal.
In this post, I'll teach you:
- The ingredients and tools you'll need to make easy crockpot lasagna
- How to assemble the lasagna layers
- Tips for making sure your slow cooker lasagna comes out perfectly every time.
- Ground Beef: You can use lean ground beef or one that is higher in fat. If you use something higher in fat, like 80/20, make sure you drain it after browning. You could substitute Italian sausage or ground turkey for all or part of the ground beef.
- Onion, Celery, Garlic: These are the aromatics that give this lasagna its flavor. The onion and celery should be chopped well before adding to the ground beef, and you will want to finely mince your garlic.
- Italian Seasoning, Salt & Crushed Red Pepper: This is where you can add as much or as little of each seasoning to suit your personal taste.
- Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Paste & Balsamic Vinegar: These ingredients create the marinara sauce of this lasagna. If you want it a thicke pasta sauce,, use more tomato paste, and vice versa. The balsamic vinegar adds depth of flavor and a hint of sweetness. If your kids are like mine (they hate vinegar), you may be tempted to skip it. You can, but I encourage you to give it a try!
- Ricotta Cheese, Parmesan Cheese & Eggs: The ricotta cheese and eggs are mixed together to create the creamy center of this lasagna. Parmesan adds a lot of flavor - use a good block of parm that you grate yourself.
- Lasagna Noodles: Uncooked noodles are used for this recipe so that they can cook in the sauce while baking. No need to boil them!
- Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is used for the top layer of this lasagna. I prefer a block of mozzarella for this recipe, but you could use fresh mozzarella for the top. I do not recommend putting fresh in the middle of your lasagna - it has too much liquid.
Step By Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Be sure to break the lasagna noodles so that they fit in your slow cooker. If you don’t, they will be sticking up out of the sauce and not cook properly.
- Make sure you are using uncooked noodles for this recipe, as cooked noodles will not absorb the moisture from the sauce and become mushy during cooking.
- You can add additional vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, or bell peppers to the meat sauce if you’d like. Just make sure you saute the veggies with the onions so too much moisture isn’t added to the dish.
- Add extra parmesan cheese for a bold cheesy flavor.
- For an even more flavorful lasagna, try adding ¼ cup of dry red wine to the meat sauce.
For a comforting and satisfying meal, bread is an excellent side to lasagna. Try bread machine dinner rolls or rosemary focaccia.
Round out your meal with a fresh green salad or roasted broccoli.
Can you cook crockpot lasagna on high?
Yes, you can cook this lasagna on high heat for 2 to 3 hours. Be sure to check that your noodles are cooked before serving. Also, keep an eye on the lasagna after the first 90 minutes of cooking - the edges may start to burn if your your slow cooker runs hot.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes! You can assemble the lasagna up to 24 hours in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to cook. When you are ready to cook, just turn your slow cooker on low and let it cook as directed in the recipe.
Can I freeze crockpot lasagna?
Yes! Let your lasagna cool completely before freezing. Place it in an airtight container or wrap tightly with aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What is the best way to reheat lasagna?
The best way to reheat lasagna is in a 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes, until it's heated through. You can also heat individual slices in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Slow Cooker - Use a CrockPot, Instant Pot Dutch Oven, Ninja PossibleCooker, or your favorite slow cooker.
- Skillet - If your slow cooker doesn’t have a saute function.
More Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
- Slow cooker french dip sandwiches are one of the best comfort foods ever. This easy meal takes just a few minutes to prepare and then let the slow cooker do all the work.
- Cozy up with a bowl of crockpot broccoli cheese soup! All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this flavorful dish in the slow cooker. Enjoy!
- Try this delicious slow cooker chicken alfredo recipe for a flavorful and effortless weeknight dinner. The creamy sauce, tender chicken, and savory Parmesan cheese make this dish a family favorite.
- Make this easy and comforting crockpot chicken pot pie for your next crowd-pleasing meal! This dish is packed with all the flavors of classic chicken pot pie, but without all the fuss.
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 28- ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese divided
- 2 eggs beaten
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese grated and divided
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to break it up, until it just starts to brown. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes longer. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Drain any accumulated fat. Sprinkle the mixture with Italian seasoning, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until everything is incorporated.
- While the meat sauce is cooking, stir together the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and eggs in a bowl.
- To assemble, spoon 1 cup of the meat sauce into the bottom of an electric slow cooker. Top with 4 noodles, breaking them as necessary to fit the crockpot.
- Spread ⅓ of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodle and 1 cup of the sauce. Sprinkle with ¾ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Top with a final layer of the lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, and sauce. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, adding the remaining cheese in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe